North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If not NWTF?

Started by Gooserbat, March 24, 2014, 06:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If there was a second oprion to NWTF would you want it to...

be part of a network of hunters who's ideas where that of Wild turkey conservation and habitat improvment?
24 (66.7%)
be part of a network of hunters who's ideas where to promot hunting relationships with in the turkey hunting comunity?
2 (5.6%)
be part of a network if those whose goals where to influance the political relm for the good of hunting with a special intrest in the wild turkey and turkey hunting?
7 (19.4%)
be part of a network of people with a goal of volentring there time toward helping vetterans, children and woman become involved in the outdoors?
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: March 27, 2014, 06:21:09 PM

Turkey Trot

I don't know that it is reasonable to expect NWTF personnel to monitor talk forums and have them respond in such an environment.

What concerns me is that so many chapters are closing and so many people tell NWTF the same things over and over and no one back in Edgefield seems to listen or be concerned about what is happening. 

If NWTF is spending so much money on administration, why not spend some on having senior management travel state to state and meet and listen to representatives of the chapters?

The fact that NWTF does not do that on its own initiative tends to indicate it is poorly led and that change is not going to be easy (in large part because of denial that there is a problem or need for change).
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

memert116

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 25, 2014, 12:14:56 PM
Quote from: memert116 on March 25, 2014, 12:12:06 PMDo we need to start a new organization or do we need to refocus the NWTF?  Might be easier/more productive to start a new organization at this point.

Do the beneficiaries of the existing status quo at NWTF have an interest in changing and de-centralizing control of funds?  In other words, giving up the power and control that they presently have? 

Can the board be changed significantly along with senior management?

Are the current high level positions appointed or elected?

silvestris

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 24, 2014, 07:12:44 PM
I saw no option for no....my vote is NO

We don't need any organizations we have our Game and Fish Commissions.

All organizations like the NWTF do is claim credit for what our Game and Fish has done and is doing.....while sucking money from each state accomplished by the hard work of volunteers in each state.

It was nothing but a Ponsie scheme from the get go...

I'm with Luther on this one.

Perhaps the question is one that should have been asked in 1973.

What, exactly, can a national organization do for a non-migratory species?  In my humble opinion, not much.  The turkey has a pretty small range and whether it thrives or not is primarily a local habitat matter.  It hit me like a bomb that my favorite hunting area had changed over the last thirty years.  In effect, it had matured to the point that it lacked sufficient nesting cover and the elements necessary for poult survival.  Fortunately, the state, that's right, the state has started a select timber management program which will hopefully provide the diversity necessary for year round turkey habitat.  The tree huggers are raising hell about it, but the cutting has begun.  What is beautiful to the eye is not always in the best interest of the turkey.

You may have a different situation in your favorite piece of heaven, like excessive clear cutting, for example.  I could support an organization that raised a lot of money and gave it to the various states earmarked for research.  I have no interest in giving my money to what is in effect, a social club that wants to take credit for every turkey killed in this country.  They make me want to barf.

The states were doing a marvelous job of trapping and transplanting Wild Turkeys before the NWTF was even a figment of someone's imagination.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Crawdad

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 24, 2014, 07:12:44 PM
I saw no option for no....my vote is NO

We don't need any organizations we have our Game and Fish Commissions.

All organizations like the NWTF do is claim credit for what our Game and Fish has done and is doing.....while sucking money from each state accomplished by the hard work of volunteers in each state.

It was nothing but a Ponsie scheme from the get go...
Luther?? that name sounds familar. I wouldn't have believed I would be agreeing with you, but I seem to feel the same as you about the NWTF. Don't hold it against me though.

mountman62

As part of the NWTF, all four of the aforementioned items are part of what the NWTF does, and in my opinion does a very good job of, but that is my personal opinion, do I agree with everything it does, but do any of us agree fully with anything that anyone else does, NO, that is what makes us different, and why it is compromised with people from all works of life (volunteers), we have personally had some of the upper management from Edgefield atten our state chapter meetings in Louisiana and our 4 state gatherings also, and have had some attend local meetings & events also, so, do I think the NWTF could be improved, Yes, do I thin we need another nationa organization for turkeys, NO, my opinion & my opinion only, but I will say that without the money that we as volunteers raise in each state for turkeys I do not feel like we would be where we are today, and that without the help of the NWTF, QDMA, RMEF, WU, DU, Delta WF, & other organizations we would be a BAD state in our nation as far as our hunting opportunities and priveledges that we enjoy
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Davio

I have been a member of a northern CA NWTF chapter for four years now.  Our chapter never has meetings and seems non existent until the yearly banquet comes along. I am getting the feeling that all they want is my $$$$.