North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If not NWTF?

Started by Gooserbat, March 24, 2014, 06:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If there was a second oprion to NWTF would you want it to...

be part of a network of hunters who's ideas where that of Wild turkey conservation and habitat improvment?
24 (66.7%)
be part of a network of hunters who's ideas where to promot hunting relationships with in the turkey hunting comunity?
2 (5.6%)
be part of a network if those whose goals where to influance the political relm for the good of hunting with a special intrest in the wild turkey and turkey hunting?
7 (19.4%)
be part of a network of people with a goal of volentring there time toward helping vetterans, children and woman become involved in the outdoors?
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: March 27, 2014, 06:21:09 PM

Gooserbat

I hear a lot of thunder on the horizon but what wind will finally blow in the storm?
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

L.F. Cox

I saw no option for no....my vote is NO

We don't need any organizations we have our Game and Fish Commissions.

All organizations like the NWTF do is claim credit for what our Game and Fish has done and is doing.....while sucking money from each state accomplished by the hard work of volunteers in each state.

It was nothing but a Ponsie scheme from the get go...

drum817

I like the idea of helping get others get into turkey hunting.   When I joined the nwtf way back when...that was my original motivation......it never panned out.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

memert116

I think you may need to add another option to your poll to include "all of the above".  I'm certain that is the eternal optimist in me saying that rather than the realist.  However, since this is rather rhetorical I thought I would throw it out there.  My guess is that in the beginning the NWTF started out with a single purpose and over time has tried to be all things to all people.  Which quite simply is beyond it's purpose and span of control.....just my opinion.  Probably should quit while I'm able to....LOL

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: memert116 on March 24, 2014, 09:42:08 PM
I think you may need to add another option to your poll to include "all of the above".  I'm certain that is the eternal optimist in me saying that rather than the realist.  However, since this is rather rhetorical I thought I would throw it out there.  My guess is that in the beginning the NWTF started out with a single purpose and over time has tried to be all things to all people.  Which quite simply is beyond it's purpose and span of control.....just my opinion.  Probably should quit while I'm able to....LOL

I agree with both of your perspectives. There should be an organization of hunters that provides all of the above. I don't think that was the NWTF's original goal to do all of those things and they never clearly laid out their goals to include those until they were already providing them in some (however minor) form. By then they felt had already accomplished these new goals and didn't define a plan going forward to improve and continue. This stuff won't just happen on its own.

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

SinGin

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 24, 2014, 07:12:44 PM

All organizations like the NWTF do is claim credit for what our Game and Fish has done and is doing.....while sucking money from each state accomplished by the hard work of volunteers in each state.

Ya the Missouri dept of conservation is doing such a great job, thats why after all the's years we can still only hunt untill 1:00 and we have an antler restiction rule also.

knightrider

totally agree!!! the nwtf was setup at the basspro trying to get people to sighn up and they told me I owed it to them for the turkeys I hunt today  :TooFunny: so I told them I owed it to twra not the nwtf and I would give my money to twra thru license purchase because I didn't owe them anything. :funnyturkey:

budtripp

Quote from: SinGin on March 24, 2014, 10:00:21 PM

Ya the Missouri dept of conservation is doing such a great job, thats why after all the's years we can still only hunt untill 1:00 and we have an antler restiction rule also.

Actually the antler restrictions are a positive in my mind. Makes the trigger happy types have to look before slinging lead, meaning a few small bucks might actually survive the gauntlet and become something someday. They'd be better off moving the gun season out of the rut but thats another story.

Gooserbat

Quote from: SinGin on March 24, 2014, 10:00:21 PM

Yeah I know I hunt MO every year and was at one time a resident hunter.  Sure dose stink to have the turkey hunting you have in MO whit it's half day hunting and 3 week season while all of us whit all day hunting and 5 week seasons have fewer and fewer birds.... You MO boys don't have a clue how good you got it and remember public opinion is not sound wildlife management.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: drum817 on March 24, 2014, 09:10:30 PM
I like the idea of helping get others get into turkey hunting.   When I joined the nwtf way back when...that was my original motivation......it never panned out.

+1 on Tim's idea above; I posted a General Forum posting that got ZERO responses, re: taking Wounded Warrior's on a turkey hunt, me as the caller, then as the shooter.  That's my desire - to help people get into the sport of turkey hunting; not get another emblem/sticker & magazine every month.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Turkey Trot

Pheasants Forever has been a successful organization and local chapters seem to be pretty happy with its model.  It has enough centralization to monitor policy and to advocate and assist local chapters in the same, while keeping money raised more localized.

Quail Unlimited was in Edgefield and under the control of the same crowd at one time.  It failed, and conservation minded hunters went to Pheasants Forever for advice.  Now there is Quail Forever.

Perhaps there will be a "Turkeys Forever" in the future.  The NWTF needs a rival, hunters need an organized voice, and turkeys need an advocate.

http://www.quailforever.org/page/1/mission.jsp
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Garrett Trentham

Is there any interest in starting a Turkeys Forever organization? Seems like they have a good model to build off of and when it comes to habitat, quail and turkeys live hand in hand.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

memert116

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 25, 2014, 11:29:16 AM
Is there any interest in starting a Turkeys Forever organization? Seems like they have a good model to build off of and when it comes to habitat, quail and turkeys live hand in hand.

Do we need to start a new organization or do we need to refocus the NWTF?  Might be easier/more productive to start a new organization at this point.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: memert116 on March 25, 2014, 12:12:06 PMDo we need to start a new organization or do we need to refocus the NWTF?  Might be easier/more productive to start a new organization at this point.

Do the beneficiaries of the existing status quo at NWTF have an interest in changing and de-centralizing control of funds?  In other words, giving up the power and control that they presently have? 

Can the board be changed significantly along with senior management?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Garrett Trentham

What bothers me about refocusing the NWTF is despite all of this negative talk about them, no one from the NWTF has come on here to stand up for the organization and clear things up. This is very concerning. Seems to me like they know they aren't doing everything they can and the higher ups are living high on the hog from all the dues and donations.

Someone tell me I'm wrong and I'll feel a lot better about keeping the NWTF going under realigned management.
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org