OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice....

Started by neal, March 14, 2011, 09:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neal

Hey guys

Got a question, I just bought a Mossberg 20ga. bantum for my daughter who is 8. It is new and I'm wondering what choke would work well in this gun I would like her to shoot hevi shot magblend or 7's if they make them for a 20ga.

Thanks for the help I've never owned a 20ga. before so I'm guessing it the same as a 12ga. but just would like to buy one choke and be done not have to buy multiple chokes and waste time and money! And maybe I can find a used choke.

Thanks again!!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

dawei

Quote from: neal on March 14, 2011, 09:28:23 PM
Hey guys

Got a question, I just bought a Mossberg 20ga. bantum for my daughter who is 8. It is new and I'm wondering what choke would work well in this gun I would like her to shoot hevi shot magblend or 7's if they make them for a 20ga.

Thanks for the help I've never owned a 20ga. before so I'm guessing it the same as a 12ga. but just would like to buy one choke and be done not have to buy multiple chokes and waste time and money! And maybe I can find a used choke.

Thanks again!!

Neal
I have the same gun except it is the full size adult Mdl 500C. Look at chokes in the .555 - .570" diameter and you should be very pleased. Indian Creek®, Pure Gold®, Primos® Tightwad®, Swarm®, or Undertaker™ are all good.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

shootumindaface

I would start with the H 13 7s.. Seeings that its a young girl with maybe limited shooting experience do not concern yourself with the huge numbers some on here are seeking.. I would look to a choke in the 570 range.. If you want to spend the money get a PG 570, if you want a cheaper choke look to a Undertaker 570, Tru Lock 570 or something similar.. Dont look for the 150 at 40 look for 80-100 call them in close and you will have wiggle room..

econo

they do make the hevi in 7's I just ordered 2 boxs at my local gun shop. I just ordered the indian creek for my new mossberg 500 22" barrel. Heard good things about this combo.
May God bless you all

S.C.C

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 14, 2011, 09:57:34 PM
I would start with the H 13 7s.. Seeings that its a young girl with maybe limited shooting experience do not concern yourself with the huge numbers some on here are seeking.. I would look to a choke in the 570 range.. If you want to spend the money get a PG 570, if you want a cheaper choke look to a Undertaker 570, Tru Lock 570 or something similar.. Dont look for the 150 at 40 look for 80-100 call them in close and you will have wiggle room..
:agreed: the best advice for any youngsters turkey gun!! :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 14, 2011, 09:57:34 PM
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

Tom's advice is all well and good, if your pattern is even.  I just don't like my Rem with the SF .570.  I looked at them again today and the patterns just have  too many holes for me.   The HW gave me 91 at 40 and the Hevi 94 at 40.  This is great for plenty of wiggle room inside of that, but with the holes it has in the 10 and 20 circles, I am a little afraid of it.  I have a Hastings .562 on the way and will shoot again this weekend.  Then I'll decide which I will choose.  Seems like the .560-.565 is the real sweet spot with the 20, but Tom said it first and I am taking his thoughts. 

gophert

I too have a 10 Yr old daughter who is shooting a gun at turkey's for the first time this year.  She has been shooting her 20 ga (with dove loads) all year and has become real comfortable with handling and shooting the gun.

I'm gonna be honest though, a 3" load still has a BUNCH of kick for her. 

I have to agree with Shootum, I am less concerned with a 40 yard pattern for her, because the chance of her hitting a turkey that far away is not that good.

She is hunting with the new 2 3/4 Federal HW #7's with a .570 choke.  The load had about the same kick as the dove loads she is used to shooting and gave her a good even pattern with 124 in a 10" circle at 30 yards.  Good luck and I hope this helps.