turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips to bring pattern lower on 935

Started by angus, March 23, 2014, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angus

Ive read on here a lot about Mossbergs shooting high, I just shot 2 rounds through my 935 and the choke I wanted to try. First shot I had a large piece of cardboard and hung it at 35 yards to see where the pattern hit, and second shot was just a piece of paper at 40. Like many have stated, it shot high, cant really tell how it patterened at 40 because most of the pattern was off the paper. At 35 steps the center of the densest part of the pattern was 8 inched above the dot I was aiming at. If I mark off the 10 inch circle around the pattern, I got a very good pattern, but just not where Im aiming. What have you guys done that worked to get your factory fiber optic sights on target? Ive read about putting something under the front sight, but It seems to me that it wouldn't stay on very good? Would glue hold it in place? Are people switching to aftermarket sights? Just looking for an idea of what to try without spending a lot of money and something that will stay on the gun.  My plan is to get it on target good and then compare the Federal Heavyweights to the Longbeards, if I can find any longbeards.

Hoosier2

Gotta go with aftermarket sights like tru glo or Williams. The other option is a red dot. I did the red dot on my 835 and I really like it.

Vabirddog

Hold low. You will be better able to see and track your target this way. 8' is a little much but do-able and if i put adjustables on I would still sight it in to shoot a little high. GL to you.

Gooserbat

For $45 you can get a top grade set of Tru Glow or Williams sights and your troubles will be gone. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: angus on March 23, 2014, 07:46:02 PM
Ive read on here a lot about Mossbergs shooting high, I just shot 2 rounds through my 935 and the choke I wanted to try. First shot I had a large piece of cardboard and hung it at 35 yards to see where the pattern hit, and second shot was just a piece of paper at 40. Like many have stated, it shot high, cant really tell how it patterened at 40 because most of the pattern was off the paper. At 35 steps the center of the densest part of the pattern was 8 inched above the dot I was aiming at. If I mark off the 10 inch circle around the pattern, I got a very good pattern, but just not where Im aiming. What have you guys done that worked to get your factory fiber optic sights on target? Ive read about putting something under the front sight, but It seems to me that it wouldn't stay on very good? Would glue hold it in place? Are people switching to aftermarket sights? Just looking for an idea of what to try without spending a lot of money and something that will stay on the gun.  My plan is to get it on target good and then compare the Federal Heavyweights to the Longbeards, if I can find any longbeards.

Have you tried using the shims to lower the comb of the stock? That should help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

DirtNap647

chipper

You can do as Mr.Bush said and shim the comb angle on your stock, that should bring it down some. I have a Winchester Sx3 that shot about 6 inches high at one time, I changed the shim on the stock,that broughtt it down some but it still shot a tad high, someone on here suggested I use a piece of leather and some channel locks to tighten my magazine cap a few more clicks so I did and now it shoots to point of aim.

Isomaad

Try sliding the rear fiber optic back toward the receiver.  This has helped with guns that have a slight slope in the vent rib.  My 930 shot high as well and I went with the Williams Universal Slugger Fire sights and they are very nice.  I didn't think of sliding the factory rear sight back until I had already put the Fire sights on.