turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Neil Cost Calls.....SOLD

Started by turkey john, March 20, 2014, 03:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey john

I have a cedar "Match call" and a poplar "Old Hen call" made by Neil Cost. Made in 1986 and in the original boxes with the calling instructions that Neil included. Neil told me to put the cedar call up for a few yrs as it would age and have a better sound. Neither have been in the woods.....Any ideas what these are worth? I see them on ebay for big $$$$ but have never seen one sell...... Thanks.

New to the website but have turkey hunted for over 55 yrs.   

L.F. Cox

A few years back they were bringing big bucks....before it's said and done I think they'll bring about 5 to 6 hundred dollars. That's what they should have been brought all along.

If you'll read Earl Mickel's book he stated in there that Neil made lots of calls and every collector should be able to get one.

The big prices started because of just a few big shot collectors...once they got what they wanted the price and saleability started to drop...just refer to the ones on eBay that don't sell.

Sadly for the guy wanting to sell one most all the Neil Cost collectors either got what they wanted or finally wised up to the hype.

BOB_HARWELL

The fake NC calls hurt the sale value also.

Bob

L.F. Cox

The fakes woke a few people up for sure....One fellow I know to the tune of about $25 grand.

No one knows how many are out there...but the truth is they were over priced by people that stood to make money off them.

Nothing special sound or other wise about a Neil Cost box call.

memert116

A good person to ask about value would be Steve Mann or maybe Lamar Williams.  Try reaching out to them.  Not sure if you are wanting to sell them but....I would think they would have great sentimental value coming from a guy like Mr. Cost. 

turkey john

Thanks for the info. I have about 100 calls some dating back to the 50s. I'm a sucker for boxes as I like getting a new one, tune it up and take a gobbler or two with it. ..I was fortunate to hunt with Leon Johenning in Va when I was a boy. Also like old scratch calls. ..........I might sell the Cost calls if anyone is interested. I priced them to one guy for $1500 for both. I guarantee them to be authentic. I bought them together and would like to keep them together..... I might be able to deliver them if you live somewhere between AL and VA. I'm originally from Va and will be going up there to hunt in a few weeks.

turkey john

Calls are sold...Thanks.

Collector

What do you think a current fair price range, for both buyer and seller, would be for an early 90s Cost box? How about the paddle calls?