turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug vs. Remington 870 Shurshot Synthetic

Started by SpringRiver, March 17, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbamboo

I bought the 535 because it was on sale at Walmart. Just over $300, then $162 for the red dot. It has a .670 choke on it, but I thought the pattern would be a lot tighter. A 3" shell is all I will go, I'm 66 and the weight of the gun will help.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Fishbamboo on March 19, 2014, 08:35:06 PM
I bought the 535 because it was on sale at Walmart. Just over $300, then $162 for the red dot. It has a .670 choke on it, but I thought the pattern would be a lot tighter. A 3" shell is all I will go, I'm 66 and the weight of the gun will help.

I don't know what choke you have on it or what shells you're shooting but depending upon the geometry of the choke tube, that might be a little open for that gun, in my experience. I'd really clean the bore and try some 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. You may also want to put a slip on recoil pad over the existing pad, that helps a lot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SpringRiver

We'll I found a pretty good deal on a new 835 turkey gun that I couldn't pass up, 20" barrel with with adjustable stock.

I appreciate everyone's input. Anyone got any choke tube recommendations? Thanks.