Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug vs. Remington 870 Shurshot Synthetic

Started by SpringRiver, March 17, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringRiver

Anyone have any experience with both these guns. I was looking for the 870 SPS with a 20" barrel but I can't find one anywhere, so I have narrowed my search down to these two. I had an 835 years ago and killed several birds with but had to sell it. Both these guns are in the same price range but the 870 has a 23" barrel and the Mossy has a 20" barrel with a scope. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-sps-synthetic-turkey.aspx

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69981

bunk

I can't comment on the 535 but I have an 870 with the shurshot stock and really like the way it feels and handles. It is my primary turkey gun. I had it drilled and tapped and added a picatiny rail with red dot scope had it dipped. Really spent some money on it. Then I bought a rough 835 for a backup-nock around gun and would have to say if I was to do it all over I would have built an 835 for my turkey gun. It is hard to beat the bore on the 835 and 935 for patterns. With that being said I would consider another 835.

ads1

You can't go wrong with either gun. Don't know about the 20 inch barrel' :anim_25:
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

captin_hook

I had a 535. Sold it bought a 870 sm with surshot stock, 23 in barrel. I killed a few birds with the 535, but the recoil on 3.5 inch shells was the worst recoil I've ever felt on any gun. It hit me in the cheek so hard I got sick of it. When people tell me you don't feel the recoil when they're shooting at a turkey, they never shot my 535 at one! Lol. The 870 is better built IMO also. They'll both throw a good pattern with the right choke load combo, but I prefer the 870.

WildSpur

870.  That 23" supermag is a great shooter. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

yelpy

I would prefer the 870 with the 23" barrel over the 535 with a 20" barrel. The 23" barreled gun will most likely give a better pattern and be easier to find a good combination. The 535 is nice to tote around but kicks like a mule and will be picky with load / choke combo's with that short barrel. That was my experience with the one I have.

chatterbox

Quote from: yelpy on March 18, 2014, 09:02:41 AM
I would prefer the 870 with the 23" barrel over the 535 with a 20" barrel. The 23" barreled gun will most likely give a better pattern and be easier to find a good combination. The 535 is nice to tote around but kicks like a mule and will be picky with load / choke combo's with that short barrel. That was my experience with the one I have.
This. I hated my 535. It went down the road, and I bought an 835. Never looked back.
However, if I was to choose between the 870, and the 535, it would be the 870, hands down.

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

appalachianstruttstopper

535 tactical turkey fit me better and is lighter. Unadjustable shurshot stock was a little long for me.  :z-twocents:

Fishbamboo

I just bought the 535TK and I put a red dot on it. I am having trouble getting it on target. Not real impressed with it, but it is my first real turkey gun.

mattbrooks

I'd go with the 870 or 835 instead of 535.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njdevilsb

My 20" 535 will put up good numbers with Hevi 13 #7's, but so will just about any other 12 gauge.  Mine likes the Pure Gold .670 choke.  The recoil is nothing to laugh at with 3.5" shells.  I have used it for about 5 years and killed a bunch of birds with it.  Maybe if I had it to do again I would have gone with something different but at the time the price was right.

Swamp

Don't buy the 535 I have one and hate it I never managed to find a good load or choke for it and the recoil is like no other! I still have the gun cause I'd feel bad to pass this peice on to someone else. I up graded to an 11-87 and absolutely love it and have an 870 express In 20ga it's a well built gun and most wil tell u for a pump it's hard to beat the reliability of an 870

Bigspurs68

Momma said "Kill that turkey"

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SpringRiver on March 17, 2014, 08:51:35 PM
Anyone have any experience with both these guns. I was looking for the 870 SPS with a 20" barrel but I can't find one anywhere, so I have narrowed my search down to these two. I had an 835 years ago and killed several birds with but had to sell it. Both these guns are in the same price range but the 870 has a 23" barrel and the Mossy has a 20" barrel with a scope. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-sps-synthetic-turkey.aspx

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69981

I've had 3 of the 535s and currently have 1 with the shorter 24" barrel and the longer 28" barrel. I had friends that wanted the other 2 guns and they have been very happy with them. They do not shoot 3.5" shells through them however because the recoil is, as has been said, "strong".

Essentially, the 535 has a 500 barrel with a 3.5" chamber and is a very light shotgun. As with any 3.5" chambered gun, it kicks! Since it's so light, it kicks a lot. You can temper that with a good slip on recoil pad and by shooting 3" shells.

Both are good guns and it probably comes down to which feels the best to you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."