OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Ghost

Started by blackfalcon, March 15, 2014, 12:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackfalcon

At long last, the Fly Fisherman's Special...Jordan Style. This call has been on the project list for over a year now, and I have been working on it in my spare time. The center section and transition are from and old bamboo fly rod that had been passed down, the cane sections had come unglued and it was unrepairable in my estimation. I epoxied the cane sections together, using twisted wire to clamp it all together, then drilled, reamed and turned them to fit the transition ferrules. The mouthpiece is turned to look similar to a wing bone and was hand filed, sanded and polished to an oblong profile. After all the sections were assembled, I wrapped it with  rod winding silk, which I bought a long time ago to redo the wraps on another of my grand father's bamboo fly rods.
The case is Mahogany with Maple Ends caps, one fixed and the other removable in the style of an old fly rod case and hexagon profile. Well known and respected call maker, Mr. Ralph Pemar had made a similar case, so I contacted him and he graciously granted me permission to go ahead with my idea for the case, so thank you Ralph for your assistance and suggestions!
There is a Hermit gobbler in the woods where I hunt we  nick named the Ghost Turkey. He seldom answers a turkey call, and will come in silently, survey the situation and then quietly slip out. In his honor, I am calling this call simply "Ghost", and look forward to the next encounter with the Ghost Turkey this spring.
Thanks for looking, Dave

Sound file below:
https://soundcloud.com/david-hodgkins/ghost/s-F5GPH

Rapscallion Vermilion

Wow.  That is gorgeous.   I grew up in New England and learned to fly fish on some of my grandfathers old bamboo fly rods.  As soon as I saw that call I wanted it.   Beautiful work.  Interested in making another one?

RIO329

alloutdoors

That's a beautiful call Dave! Hope it helps you turn the Ghost Turkey into a ghost turkey this spring!  :icon_thumright:

blackfalcon

Thanks guys! Not sure about making any more, a lot will depend on what happens with the interstate regulations on Ivory.

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

hunter22

That's a beauty Dave. Good luck with the Ghost.

callmakerman

Dave with out a doubt one of the finest pieces I've seen from you and she sounds killer as well. Good luck with her this spring.

SS Calls

Sweet caller Dave! Really nice case too!   :icon_thumright:

West Augusta

That is one of the best looking Jordans I've seen. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

Absolutely the coolest Jordan I have laid these old eyes on! The fly fishing story and the use of that ol' rod is something....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

dreis3

Awesome work on that one Dave!
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

SS Josh

Quote from: pappy on March 15, 2014, 09:27:33 PM
Absolutely the coolest Jordan I have laid these old eyes on! The fly fishing story and the use of that ol' rod is something....
Thats a sweet call!!    :z-winnersmiley:
:cross2: Colossians 3:23 :cross2:

eman375

W :DW!  That is an incredible beauty!

stevelumma

Very classy, Looks really nice !!!!