OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20ga HTL

Started by quackaddict, March 15, 2014, 12:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackaddict

Ordered a Carlson's .575 last night for my Franchi 720. I picked up a box of Winchester XX #5's yesterday and am trying to decide which HTL load to pick up. I'm between the Magblends, Hevi13, and Fed HW 6s. Worried about the Feds because of the wad. I don't want to overchoke it, and I know how good the Magblends pattern in a 12ga. Not interested in buying a box of each, because I just don't want to spend the extra $...it costs me enough to make a trip to turkey land from my house as it is. What would you guys suggest?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

BowBendr

HW 6's if the choke is non-ported, Hevi's if it's ported, would be my first try...too many variables to just go buy 1 box of shells.

jdub2041

Heavy shot #7s shot best for me

jordanz7935

I get my best patterns with Fed HW #7s

BandedSpur

Why would you try HW 6s unless required by law? The 7s will outshoot them by a wide margin and have more than enough penetration way past where you should be shooting.

quackaddict

I haven't seen any HW 7s anywhere.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 16, 2014, 08:23:47 AM
Why would you try HW 6s unless required by law? The 7s will outshoot them by a wide margin and have more than enough penetration way past where you should be shooting.

And if he can get the 6's to pattern to a min of 100/10" at 40 the point is moot either way right?  I have probably 15 boxes of the 6's and they put up right about 120, +/- 5 in the 10" circle at 40 yards and are very even.  When and if I ever run out of 7's I have no hesitation loading up a bunch of 6's and RUINING a gobbler's day to 40 yards and a bit further.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

timberjack86

The 7's are a nightmare to find so I use the 6's

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: quackaddict on March 16, 2014, 11:09:32 AM
I haven't seen any HW 7s anywhere.

MidwayUSA has the 7s in stock, and on sale.

mossyoakpro

My local Bass Pro has a ton of the #7's right now...
Phillippians 4:13

Rapscallion Vermilion

If I couldn't find the HW 7s, or didn't want to get killed on shipping for one box, I wouldn't hesitate to try the 6s.   I patterned the HW 6s on Friday and shot 172, 159, and 161 in 10" at 40 yards.  That's crazy tight.  If I had only shot one, I would have thought for sure that it was a fluke. I'm sure our 6000 ft altitude helps. This is significantly tighter than the 7s in my gun (1187, 26" barrel, RSF choke).  The 7s averaged ~150 or so, as they usually do for me.  I like the extra margin for aiming error the 7s give me, but the 6s could be an option.

quackaddict, do you ever get up to Albuquerque?

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 16, 2014, 07:12:26 PM
If I couldn't find the HW 7s, or didn't want to get killed on shipping for one box, I wouldn't hesitate to try the 6s.   I patterned the HW 6s on Friday and shot 172, 159, and 161 in 10" at 40 yards.  That's crazy tight.  If I had only shot one, I would have thought for sure that it was a fluke. I'm sure our 6000 ft altitude helps. This is significantly tighter than the 7s in my gun (1187, 26" barrel, RSF choke).  The 7s averaged ~150 or so, as they usually do for me.  I like the extra margin for aiming error the 7s give me, but the 6s could be an option.

Extra margin for error?!?!?!   :o :o :o  That's the kind pattern MOST guys are getting with 7's!!!!   :drool:  There wouldn't be a gobbler on the planet safe from you to-dare I say it?- FIFTY YARDS, easy with that kind of pattern in HW 6's! 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BandedSpur

67% of the total charge in the 10 @ 40 is really, really strong. Never heard of a combo with that kind of efficiency. Congrats...aim small.

quackaddict

Not really. Thanks for that info though. I'm sending you a PM.