OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal 7.5 lead pattern

Started by KYStalker, March 12, 2014, 11:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

I just take it for what it is. Patterns on a forum. I never heard the OP say he was going turkey killing at 40 with any of those loads. I do like to see the patterns being put up here though. I like to see the data of what various loads and chokes produce...nothing more...nothing less.

Number17

Quote from: BowBendr on March 26, 2014, 12:30:50 PM
I just take it for what it is. Patterns on a forum. I never heard the OP say he was going turkey killing at 40 with any of those loads.

No, you didn't, but a few other guys have recalled their successful hunts where this smaller shot fit the bill at the predetermined maximum limit of 40 yards.

I would assume that on a turkey hunting website, under the turkey gun pattern forum, where a fellow posts a picture of a pattern from his turkey gun, he most likely has intentions of shooting at a turkey with that set up. That has to be the most logical conclusion right?

I like seeing patterns as well, but you've got to weed out the top few and weed out the bottom few, to get a true understanding of what these shells, barrels, and chokes are capable of.
I thought the  members of this forum had a near innate grasp on the concept that lead #6 shot is the minimum pellet a shooter should launch at a live turkey, if they choose to shoot at the agreed upon range limitation of 40 yards.

When I was about 10 years old, I watched my brother kill a groundhog with a single BB fired from a Crossman air rifle. That BB went right in its ear canal, left a single droplet of blood, and that groundhog never twitched. And yet to this day, I won't consider a 10 pump Crossman BB gun to be a very good groundhog gun.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

the Ward

well, I can see where this thread is headed...... :popcorn:

GOLD HUNTER

Quote from: learn2hide on March 25, 2014, 10:43:58 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 24, 2014, 10:35:38 PM
shot them for some years myself,and yes they killed birds at 40

Again I don't doubt the pellet size capability as much as the lack of availability of power loads...I think the average turkey hunter or novice might see 7.5 and think they ought to just grab their 2 3/4" Winchester Universals and go to town...obviously that would be OK to a point, could lead to wounded birds.  I'm not sure I've ever seen the load you are describing above for sale, a 3" 2oz Lead 7...just not used to seeing that anywhere.

WildTigerTrout

Number17, have you ever heard of a famous turkey hunter by the name of Ray Eye? He used that exact load, Federal "Premium" 12 ga. 3 inch 2 oz load of 7 1/2 shot. It was one of his favorite turkey loads until it was discontinued by the factory. I myself found three boxes that I am itching to try on a big old tom. I am sure the load is more than up to the task at hand and will SMOKE a turkeys head at 40 yards!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Number17

I don't care who promotes it and I don't care who uses it. Just because somebody promotes it doesn't change the physics of what is going on with the pellets.

Throughout these "Longbeard XR" threads, nearly every argument against them being an "extended range" load was that a #6 Lead runs out a juice at 40 yards.
And now all the sudden #7.5 lead will kill gobblers all day long at 40 yards?
What was the velocity on those Federal 2oz?

I'm not arguing about it personally as I've never shot it and I've never run penetration tests for myself, but I just find it peculiar that penetration and lethality seems to have more to do with a opinion over science.
How small can we go with lead shot? If multiple jabs adds up to the same amount of damage as a few overhand rights, can we expect Lead #10s to kill reliably at 40 yards?
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Longshanks

:
Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 26, 2014, 02:20:35 PM
Number17, have you ever heard of a famous turkey hunter by the name of Ray Eye? He used that exact load, Federal "Premium" 12 ga. 3 inch 2 oz load of 7 1/2 shot. It was one of his favorite turkey loads until it was discontinued by the factory. I myself found three boxes that I am itching to try on a big old tom. I am sure the load is more than up to the task at hand and will SMOKE a turkeys head at 40 yards!

Ray Eye...hadn't heard that name in a long time. Yea he could kill a turkey in Wal Mart parking lot with a broom. He was or maybe still is a turkey killing machine. I know several old school guys that used to be in the hunting business that hunted with these shells. I have two boxes myself. Was gonna hunt with them this year but got sidetracked with LB's.

Longshanks

Quote from: learn2hide on March 25, 2014, 10:43:58 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 24, 2014, 10:35:38 PM
shot them for some years myself,and yes they killed birds at 40

Again I don't doubt the pellet size capability as much as the lack of availability of power loads...I think the average turkey hunter or novice might see 7.5 and think they ought to just grab their 2 3/4" Winchester Universals and go to town...obviously that would be OK to a point, could lead to wounded birds.  I'm not sure I've ever seen the load you are describing above for sale, a 3" 2oz Lead 7...just not used to seeing that anywhere.

This is a full fledged turkey load. 3/2/7.5 of copperplate shot. (4 dram eq)

Longshanks

Quote from: Number17 on March 26, 2014, 03:53:01 PM
I don't care who promotes it and I don't care who uses it. Just because somebody promotes it doesn't change the physics of what is going on with the pellets.

Throughout these "Longbeard XR" threads, nearly every argument against them being an "extended range" load was that a #6 Lead runs out a juice at 40 yards.
And now all the sudden #7.5 lead will kill gobblers all day long at 40 yards?
What was the velocity on those Federal 2oz?

I'm not arguing about it personally as I've never shot it and I've never run penetration tests for myself, but I just find it peculiar that penetration and lethality seems to have more to do with a opinion over science.
How small can we go with lead shot? If multiple jabs adds up to the same amount of damage as a few overhand rights, can we expect Lead #10s to kill reliably at 40 yards?

This was one of those turkey loads that folks used to wear the turkeys out with before we got all smart about it and involved science. Back in these days 40 yds was considered stretching it with any gun/shell and most of the guys I hunted with were looking to get turkeys inside 30yds. I can't comment on killing turkeys at 40+ yards with them cause I don't know. I would probably try to get em closer to be honest.

jfair

Ray Eye spent a lot more time working on calling birds into a real hunting range then he did trying to figure out how far he could shoot them. Quite a concept.  Gets pretty fun inside of 30...and really fun at 10.  Every once in a while they hang up at 50 and 60. Makes hunting kinda enjoyable when you finally get him in.

highwaygun

Just for the record to all of those that say they have killed turkeys with 7.5 lead at 40 yards and beyond. Dont kid yourself you just got lucky and stunned the bird long enough to KILL him with your foot. 7.5 lead isnt a turkey load and never will be. Hell I shoot a big 10 and I could get a 3oz load of it from nitro but wont ever dream of using it. Its a 30 yard shell plain and simple. Some people need to reevaluate there methods. And I dont care what red dog or red wing or whoever said I wont even feel comfortable taking them 3/2/7.5 federals squirrel hunting because theyd be lucky to kill a tree rat at 40 and beyond ranges. If you kill them close then great use the dove loads but if your gonna try to take long shots do everyone a favor including the turkey at get something with more lead in its pencil.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: highwaygun on March 26, 2014, 07:43:18 PM
Just for the record to all of those that say they have killed turkeys with 7.5 lead at 40 yards and beyond. Dont kid yourself you just got lucky and stunned the bird long enough to KILL him with your foot. 7.5 lead isnt a turkey load and never will be. Hell I shoot a big 10 and I could get a 3oz load of it from nitro but wont ever dream of using it. Its a 30 yard shell plain and simple. Some people need to reevaluate there methods. And I dont care what red dog or red wing or whoever said I wont even feel comfortable taking them 3/2/7.5 federals squirrel hunting because theyd be lucky to kill a tree rat at 40 and beyond ranges. If you kill them close then great use the dove loads but if your gonna try to take long shots do everyone a favor including the turkey at get something with more lead in its pencil.
I can see why you carry a 10,I don't know and really don't care where you got your opinion on this subject.I have used this shell on several birds in the past,and none were stunned,or stepped on with a foot,they were dead.Some were taken between 30-35yds,some were between 35-40yds.
I don't need to reevaluate  any methods,I have been hunting and shooting at these birds for 35-40 years,
in that time I have shot at one time or another just about every shell that has been made for turkey hunting,and some that were not.Have never lost a bird (because I don't take 50+yd shots), have missed 4 times,but those were my fault,not the shells.
If people turkey hunted,instead of turkey shooting,you could use 2-3/4 High Brass shells,which by the way has killed several birds for me over the years,and you're going to love this,the 2-3/4" 1-1/4oz #7.5 was one of my favorites.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

turkey buster

My pawpaw swears by 2.75 and 3in shells. He laughs at me for buying 3.5in shells. I laugh at him because none of the shells in his turkey vest are even the same color. But that old man kills turkeys.

highwaygun

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 26, 2014, 09:25:56 PM
I can see why you carry a 10,I don't know and really don't care where you got your opinion on this subject.I have used this shell on several birds in the past,and none were stunned,or stepped on with a foot,they were dead.Some were taken between 30-35yds,some were between 35-40yds.
I don't need to reevaluate  any methods,I have been hunting and shooting at these birds for 35-40 years,
in that time I have shot at one time or another just about every shell that has been made for turkey hunting,and some that were not.Have never lost a bird (because I don't take 50+yd shots), have missed 4 times,but those were my fault,not the shells.
If people turkey hunted,instead of turkey shooting,you could use 2-3/4 High Brass shells,which by the way has killed several birds for me over the years,and you're going to love this,the 2-3/4" 1-1/4oz #7.5 was one of my favorites.
I call bs that you are knocking them stiff at 40 yards with 7.5's. You need to get a range finder because your mistaken. We are talking real yards here. We are not measuring with same ruler you used to convince the wife its 12 inches. These shells are sub par and shouldnt be used with all the better options out there. People like you are the ones that setup newcomers on this site and to the sport for failure. The correct response from a person with your experience should be " yes they will kill a turkey but use your head and take high percentage shots because the pellets are small and they lose KE quick. If you miss judge the yardage and take a shot thats to far you wont like the outcome."  And to the point of why I use a ten is because it is superior to any 12 ga combo on the market. if you dont believe me ill send you pattern pics or you can check the 10ga section on this site. Oh yeah and about you never losing a bird I say you need to reevaluate that one also because if you pull the trigger and he doesnt ride in the truck you lost him. Now ask me how many I have lost with the 10 and youll know now why I use it.

BowBendr

Quote from: highwaygun on March 26, 2014, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 26, 2014, 09:25:56 PM
I call bs that you are knocking them stiff at 40 yards with 7.5's. You need to get a range finder because your mistaken. We are talking real yards here. We are not measuring with same ruler you used to convince the wife its 12 inches. These shells are sub par and shouldnt be used with all the better options out there. People like you are the ones that setup newcomers on this site and to the sport for failure. The correct response from a person with your experience should be " yes they will kill a turkey but use your head and take high percentage shots because the pellets are small and they lose KE quick. If you miss judge the yardage and take a shot thats to far you wont like the outcome."  And to the point of why I use a ten is because it is superior to any 12 ga combo on the market. if you dont believe me ill send you pattern pics or you can check the 10ga section on this site. Oh yeah and about you never losing a bird I say you need to reevaluate that one also because if you pull the trigger and he doesnt ride in the truck you lost him. Now ask me how many I have lost with the 10 and youll know now why I use it.

I don't know who you are buddy, but that post was way over the line.