turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weatherby SA-08, Undertaker .575, Hevi-13 3" #6

Started by sonofabuck, March 11, 2014, 01:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonofabuck

Finding something that patterns well in the gun has been a headache and expensive!  I've tried several different choke and shell combos and this one is the best of all of them.  This is what my 9 year old daughter will be shooting this season to hopefully take her first turkey.  If I can get her off the soccer field to get a couple of hunts in!  If I can manage to take one or two with the 12 I may carry it some too.

FL-Boss

I'm almost sure that Weatherby SA-08 is essentially the same gun as the Mossberg SA-20.

With that said... Sumtoy choke with Federal, HW #7, 1.5oz is going to give you the best results.  I have tried many combos.. this one smokes them all.
I was getting 175+ hits in a 10in at 40 yards...love this gun

sonofabuck

Nice.  I tried those in 4 different chokes (not a Sumtoy though) and I didn't break 100.  However, the last shell in the box was not crimped properly and one of the other shells felt like the charge was a little light.  That box and the last shell with bad crimp is on its way to Federal now.  They said they would ship me out another box.  I'd like to buy more/differnt ammo and chokes but I'm running out of money!! And time :lol:

nothingbutlongbeards

Going to let my little boy shoot the MagBlends out of his 20 gauge this season

savduck

I know of 4 sa08 weatherbys all shoot sum toy 562-5 and fed 7s. All pattern in the 150 in 10 range and up.
Georgia Boy

sonofabuck

Well shoot, guess I'll be callin William tomorrow. It's only money right? 

jordanz7935

Those patterns look good to me. I'd save your money and go hunting. That said, Federal HW 7s would probably get you better numbers for sure. Looks like the sumtoy would be a sure bet though. I've also heard a lot of good things about the trulock choke built for fed Hw 7s. I almost ordered one myself but I'm getting 130s with the Fed 7s with my rsf choke that i've always used in the gun so i just cant justify the purchase.

savduck

Mine does not like hevi shot. Shoots the fire out of federals 7 and 6s
Georgia Boy

FL-Boss

++++  Trust me... I spend a ton of cash on chokes and ammo to figure out the right set up for this gun... Sumtoy and Fed #7

BHMTitan

I get avg of upper 140s with IC 555 and Hevi13 #7 (1.25oz).

sonofabuck

Just got off the phone with William.  The Sumtoy and fed HW 7 will be the last combo I try.  Hopefully it'll work out.  If not I'll stick with the current set up.  Thanks for all your help and recommendations. 
Check out the classifieds I got a couple of chokes for sale. :funnyturkey:

jdub2041

Getting 170s with hevi 13 #7 with puregold tempest .555!! with the same set up feds shot in the 130s( gun is rem. 1187 youth)

sonofabuck

I got my Sumtoy choke in but haven't been able to score any Fed HW #7 locally.  Might hit the range today and try HEVI #6 and magblend since my morning hunt got rained out.

surehuntsalot

beginning to think that I just might have to try on of these  Sumtoy chokes
it's not the harvest,it's the chase