turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke I.D.

Started by TnTurk, March 11, 2014, 11:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

I acquired this choke through another forum board to try and see if it would fit in any of my guns. I tried it in a Win 1300 with an invector style choke and it screwed in perfectly, but as you can see it does not screw down flush with the barrel. I don't think this is a problem since the choke is seated firmly in the barrel. Maybe it is designed to be an extended choke tube. IDK    Anyway, can someone identify the make of the choke. I know what design it resembles, but I've never seen one like this and it has a XF 690 on the tube. Click pic to enlarge.  Thanks, Steve

Skeeterbait

Looks like one of the old style M A D Max chokes and it definitely was not made for that gun.

gophert

MAD calls Super Max choke.  I would not recommend shooting it in that gun either. 

mightyjoeyoung

Is that for an inv + barrel???  .690 sounds like 10 ga extra full but it could be for inv. +...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Skeeterbait

I wouldn't have thought the thread would have lined up but due to the length and constriction I am thinking it may be a Mossberg Ulti-Mag for the 835/935.

TnTurk

Yea weird I know, but it screws in nicely with no gaps. Beats me.

shotgun_oly

Its a Dayson and they're some of the best chokes around, imo. But apparently not everyone agreed with me and they're no longer in business :bike2: They're also the company that made the mad max tubes not Indian creek  :funnyturkey:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TnTurk on March 11, 2014, 11:53:50 AM
I acquired this choke through another forum board to try and see if it would fit in any of my guns. I tried it in a Win 1300 with an invector style choke and it screwed in perfectly, but as you can see it does not screw down flush with the barrel. I don't think this is a problem since the choke is seated firmly in the barrel. Maybe it is designed to be an extended choke tube. IDK    Anyway, can someone identify the make of the choke. I know what design it resembles, but I've never seen one like this and it has a XF 690 on the tube. Click pic to enlarge.  Thanks, Steve

That design has been around for a long time. They were made for trap shooters. I know at least one shop that still has a couple hanging on the wall.

Apparently, it was not very popular, as it did not sell very well and wasn't embraced by the trap community.

I remember looking up the patent on that design several years ago.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TnTurk

Quote from: shotgun_oly on March 11, 2014, 03:08:58 PM
Its a Dayson and they're some of the best chokes around, imo. But apparently not everyone agreed with me and they're no longer in business :bike2: They're also the company that made the mad max tubes not Indian creek  :funnyturkey:

So what gun does it fit? A guy on another forum said it fit nicely in his 870 but did not sit flush with his barrel. Same goes for my 1300 Win. I don't care to shoot it, but it's just finding out what style threads it matches is all I want to know. Thanks and God Bless, Steve

captin_hook

I wouldn't shoot it unless I knew exactly what gun it fits. Yes it might screw in nice but make sure that choke screws in enough to cover all your barrel threads. You start shooting with threads exposed you'll damage them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That is a Dayson choke.  That choke was made by Frank Goepfert out of Alba, MO. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Do not shoot that choke in that gun.  It may blow up on you if you do. 

Here is some more info on the Dayson chokes.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=398785997#PIC

shotgun_oly

It looks like a invector plus, but without have it in hand to measure with my calipers who knows for sure. I don't know if you have calipers that you can use, but all my Invector Plus chokes measure out to 2.37-8 " or  60.55mm excluding extended portion :z-twocents:
Oly

Captaintopwater

I have one that has SX M12 665-A2 on it.

Gold Spur

Looks like my invector plus chokes. Your 1300 uses a invector. Deffinatly do not shoot it in your gun.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!