turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Entry level trumpet for beginner...

Started by jdavenp3, March 10, 2014, 10:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdavenp3

What is a good direction to look for in an entry level type trumpet? I love the sounds that a trumpet makes but I have never even tried one in the 10 or so years I have hunted turkeys. I would love to try one out but, from what I have seen, they can get expensive. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

davisd9

Mike Williams is the easiest to run, IMO. Billy Buice gives you the opportunity to switch mouthpieces to make one call sound different. Both run around the same price. It is worth getting a quality call if you are going to learn one. I started with a cheaper one and would have gotten to hunt with it quicker if I had just made the investment. If you decide it is not for you then both the Buice and MKW will sell easily. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

UtahGobbler

How would one get in touch with one of these guys? I want to find out about trumpet calls as well but can't find much info on them.

UG

hunter22

I have 30 trumpets from all the big name trumpet makers. I am starting to post pics of some of mine in the trumpet section. I have to say that for an entry level trumpet that will not break the bank and sounds as good as some of my more expensive trumpets you might want to contact Robert Glover, Crawdad on here. I have three of his and they will run you about half what most trumpet makers start their prices at. I would hunt all of them. 

jdavenp3

Thanks. I will look into him for sure. I will be on the lookout for your threads.

alloutdoors

Check with Alan Sentell, a little while back he was offering a delrin yelper with an instructional DVD for $50 if I remember right. That would be great for a beginner.

http://www.newmoongamecalls.com

Another good choice would be Brian Mero who is a member here, I find his calls very easy and smooth to play, and they are pretty affordable.

Wingboneman

If it was me I would start with a wing bone first, Lot of people make them on this site. should be a little cheeper.