turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

IL gobbling

Started by Tommythreetoes, March 10, 2014, 10:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommythreetoes

Anybody hearing anything yet.  Went out the other morning and didn't hear a peep.  Maybe still too early?  I'm getting anxious to hear that first gobble, just hasn't happened yet for me. 

memert116

I haven't heard anything where I'm at in Madison county but I think it's a tad early.  Where are you located?

Old Timer53

Quiet here in Pike Co.
Still a little early.. Warm weather next week you ought to start hearing some.

Tommythreetoes

Central IL.  I plan to go back out again tomorrow morning. 

memert116

Anyone got any reports of gobbling in Macon or Madison Counties?

Tommythreetoes

Guess what I heard this morning!   :funnyturkey:

Didn't hear anything on the roost at all.  Looked around for some sign and wasn't seeing much.  I was on my way back to the truck and spotted a turkey in the field.  I sat down and watched for a few minutes.  Pretty soon, he gobbled.  Then he strutted for awhile.  I'm guessing there were some hens in the woods, but I never did see them.  He gobbled probably a dozen times in the field before he left.  Spring is here! 

Central IL

memert116

It is coming for sure..... :turkey2:

Heller

I've seen turkeys all winter but not seein any struttin or hearing any love talk yet. But here in NW illinois we still have snow on the ground

memert116

Quote from: Heller on March 16, 2014, 10:28:09 AM
I've seen turkeys all winter but not seein any struttin or hearing any love talk yet. But here in NW illinois we still have snow on the ground

We're getting wind chill temps in the teens, freezing rain that's turning to snow in Madison County today but then it's supposed to turn nicer........hopefully will stay that way and let spring take over.

csgrizz

They were gobbling saturday morning on roost in west central IL where my friend was, but I did not hear a single peep in my neck of the woods.

ads1

Gobbling on the roost here in Lawrence County. Saw two strutters yesterday morning as I was driving. :)
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

memert116

It has been SO danged windy here in Madison county that you'd have to be sitting on the limb with them to hear anything.  Hope it calms down and turns off nice.

big muddy cruiser

They been gobbling for a couple weeks now in union jackson counties. Starting to gobble on the ground some now. Been seeing them strutting in the fields also.

Tommythreetoes

Went out again this morning.  38 degrees or so, no wind, no clouds.  Beautiful morning.  No gobbling on the roost again.  At least none that I could hear.  But about 8:00 I heard one sound off.  He was on another property, so I never did get to see him, but he gobbled several times.  I'm having a hard time figuring out where he's roosting at.  It's always been later in the morning when I find him...  Hopefully he hangs close for another 3 weeks.

hoyt

Calling for 23 degrees and snow showers here in S. Il. Tues.

Had a hernia operation last Thurs. so haven't been out listening..but did go today and pull some cams. Got a few gobbler pics..looked like they still had their longjohns on to me.