turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Carlson's .575

Started by Punisher, March 08, 2014, 08:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

Shot the Carslon's .575 today with the HW #7s through my 26" Rem. 870 20 ga.  First shot was 150/10".  Second shot was 131/10".  Third shot was 123/10".  I like the choke because it shoots POA and POI dead on with the bead, but was wondering why the numbers drop off with each shot.  My Sumtoy averages in the 140's/10" but shoots a little low, which causes me to have to use sights, which I do not like to do.  Why do guys think I had such a wide range difference between each shot?  All shots at a taped 40 yds.  Thanks in advance.

sevetts

123 at poa is nothing to be upset with especially with that load. I'd guess a lil build up in your choke. Does it go down with your sum toy? 

gophert

My guess is that your gun likes a cleaner barrel. 

Punisher

Shot again today with the Carlson's.  The Carlson's did 138/10", 136/10", and 125/10" with POI and POA coming out real close.  I have got higher numbers with different chokes, but the patterns with the Carlson's were about as even as any patterns I have ever shot, and the patterns are consistent.  Beautiful hunting patterns.  I also shot a Tightwad choke today and got my highest numbers ever, 161/10", but the next shot yielded a dismal 115/10".  I use a wire brush and bore snake between each shot.  I will try to post the Carlson's pics tomorrow.

mightyjoeyoung

Through the same choke and same gun, just with a 21" mirror-polished bbl...

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

If that gun threw any more even patterns with that load through that choke, I'd swear somebody took a nail and punched the holes themselves.   :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

I get great patterns out of my Carlson choke,it is one of the better chokes for a 20ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!