turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips on running a trumpet

Started by jakesdad, March 06, 2014, 11:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Ive been trying to learn as many kinds of calls as I can,but am having trouble getting the hang of the trumpet.I can get a couple good sounds then it goes south in a hurry,sound likes a dying moose.Any tips on learning how to play this instrument?For what its worth I have an olivewood trumpet made by Pappy.

Thanks!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Rapscallion Vermilion

Del  (savduck)  made some great instructional videos.  Check them out.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,38427.0.html

VanHelden Game Calls

Don't suck!! - Draw air in using your diaphragm.

I find a lipstop helpful and it needs to be adjusted for you...

Try different areas of you mouth.  I find left of center to be the sweet spot for me.  Some like it dead center or in the corner of the mouth - find what works.

Don't try to make turkey noises right away, just work on drawing in air and holding a note for a few seconds and then try a different pitch.  Once you can master holding the 2 notes putting it together for a yelp is a pc of cake. 

Learn to control it, then test what you can do with it.... ;)

rem 300

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on March 06, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
Don't suck!! - Draw air in using your diaphragm.

I find a lipstop helpful and it needs to be adjusted for you...

Try different areas of you mouth.  I find left of center to be the sweet spot for me.  Some like it dead center or in the corner of the mouth - find what works.

Don't try to make turkey noises right away, just work on drawing in air and holding a note for a few seconds and then try a different pitch.  Once you can master holding the 2 notes putting it together for a yelp is a pc of cake. 

Learn to control it, then test what you can do with it.... ;)

All of this ^^^^

And practice, practice, practice

A good call and more practice

Good luck

jakesdad

I think thats alot of my problem,i'm trying to play it like sucking thru a straw rather than drawing in air thru my diaphram.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

VanHelden Game Calls

I still do it on occasion.  Usually when I have been practicing a while I get sloppy and lazy.  When you get tired or it sounds off STOP, reevaluate how your drawing in the air and make the changes, don't create bad habits.

And if all else fails send me the orphaned trumpet so he stays loved :)

AU86

Marlin Watkins has some really good instructional videos on youtube.

pappy

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on March 06, 2014, 02:31:04 PM
I still do it on occasion.  Usually when I have been practicing a while I get sloppy and lazy.  When you get tired or it sounds off STOP, reevaluate how your drawing in the air and make the changes, don't create bad habits.

And if all else fails send me the orphaned trumpet so he stays loved :)

Hahaha....I told ya it takes practice my friend...using your diaphragm will greatly improve your sound, I remember years back I couldn't run a trumpet to save my soul, but after I learned the diaphragm it is like a second nature to get in that mode of thinking. But like Van says, getting sloppy is gonna happen, don't get discouraged enough to send it to him.......I'll take her back!!!!!! LOL
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

L.F. Cox

Most that are good on a diaphragm will be good on a trumpet.....most that can't play a diaphragm good will not be able to play a trumpet very good.

Both calls require a good musical ear.

Shellwaster

When I got my first trumpet 2 years ago I practiced so much my lips turned raw from biting down on them curled over my teeth. I didn't take it hunting until last year and used it sparingly. I've since gotten more confident in it and will use it this year with regularity.

I still use the straw sucking method with the baby sucking teet jaw drop like Del compares it too in one of his videos. I've tried using my diaphragm just as I do when exhaling on a mouth call but the only thing I get is light headed and the hiccups. My diaphragm prefers exhaling versus inhaling.

randywallace

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on March 06, 2014, 01:00:37 PM
Don't suck!! - Draw air in using your diaphram....

The consistency of your airflow is more important than where it originates.  If you can get a true note from the air in your mouth and lungs a turkey won't know the difference.

VanHelden Game Calls

Correct, but I find it easier to draw a longer steadier breath using my diaphragm.

Many ways to skin a cat, some are just easier and more consistent :)

L.F. Cox

You cat skinners don't be so bashful post up some sound files for the fellow...

savduck

The more i run them,I find my self drawing softer and more consistent air.  Like anything else. The more your run them hopefully the better you get. Sooner or later it will just click.
Georgia Boy

VanHelden Game Calls

I can run a trumpet but sound files still elude me :bike2:

L.F. Cox seems you should be the one posting some files, think we could all learn a bit :)