OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win Long Beard XR- what size shot for lead?

Started by kevin2, March 04, 2014, 09:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I was reading about this new load, the Winchester Long Beard XR Turkey, and I was thinking I'd give it a go. 4s, 5s, or 6s. What would be the best size for extended ranges? 40-50 yards.

Almost fun buying ammo at this price! IF that is possible!

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

TN Beard Buster

I personally like #5's. Been shooting them for years.

kevin2

yes, I was thinking of trying some 4s or 5s, thinking that the pattern is suppose to be so good THAT you'd need a bit more size down range to still hit hard enough to kill. What do you all think about that, will it help?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

cwhite

Definitely #5. Plenty of hits in 10" at 40 yards. Plus plenty of penetration, I dug some pellets out of the wood bracing my target that were 1/4 inch deep in the wood  :icon_thumright:

darn2ten

WildSpur

I will be trying 5's in one of my guns.  I figure if I could get 150+ with 5's and the same gun 10 years ago was getting 130 ' s with #6 and I was ok with that then its a win-win!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

R AJ

Please try to think 40 and under instead of how long a shot can I make and what size shot will it take.

To answer your question though I'd use #5 as it will have the energy necessary and generally provide ample shot for decent pattern coverage at the distance you mentioned. A #4 pattern in lead at 50 yards that is acceptable is a rarity but they exist.

We don't have that many birds to hunt so when they are not easily within range I use the CBT philosophy which is come back tomorrow.

d.winsor

Gobble!

Quote from: RAJ on March 05, 2014, 08:21:23 AM
Please try to think 40 and under instead of how long a shot can I make and what size shot will it take.

I agree but as long as manufactures are saying these are 60 and even 75 yard shells this is going to continue to come up.

At 40 yards the 6s are all you need but if you plan on stretching that distance and using 5s just make sure you pattern your gun and know the pattern it will produce at longer ranges. I watched a Zink show last night. They had a bird coming in but it stopped at what they called 50 yards. The guy with the gun shot and it looked to me like that bird got some lead in it but they said it was a clean miss. I think they took at shot they should of passed and wounded the bird. Know your gun and it's range and don't push it.

decoykrvr

The patterns which I got w/ 6's at a lazered 40 yards are exceptional for lead and will hold up to 45 yards, but due to the inherent limitations of lead shot, the 6's are a 40 yard proposition.  I've adivsed several friends who will be hunting w/ the XR's to put a 6 in the chamber and 5's in the magazine tube which should be a great 40 yard and less combo.

chatterbox

Quote from: Gobble! on March 05, 2014, 02:29:33 PM
Quote from: RAJ on March 05, 2014, 08:21:23 AM

I agree but as long as manufactures are saying these are 60 and even 75 yard shells this is going to continue to come up.

At 40 yards the 6s are all you need but if you plan on stretching that distance and using 5s just make sure you pattern your gun and know the pattern it will produce at longer ranges. I watched a Zink show last night. They had a bird coming in but it stopped at what they called 50 yards. The guy with the gun shot and it looked to me like that bird got some lead in it but they said it was a clean miss. I think they took at shot they should of passed and wounded the bird. Know your gun and it's range and don't push it.
This is gonna happen more and more. Combine this tv shot with a million idiots, and it's the bird that suffers.
Making bad decisions with a truly 40 and under shell is a big mistake.

beagler

Never Misses

Skeeterbait

I never trusted lead 6's at 40 yards.  I would go with the 5's if I were switching from HTL to them.  Then it is a matter of do you get sufficiently dense of a pattern.

knightrider

#5 no doubt im getting 180's at 40 with the long beards :OGturkeyhead:

WVHills

Been using 6's but may try 5's now just to see what my pattern looks like.