OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is it worth it?

Started by hgoutdoors, March 04, 2014, 09:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgoutdoors

Looking into making friction calls and came across this lathe on craigslist. Will this do what I need it to do or should I just look at a cheaper new one?

http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/4327373954.html

ky turkey hunter

Any of them will work it just depends on what you like

Cut*N*Run

Of the 3 I would go with the 12" HF lathe. With the amount of times I change speed while turning and sanding a call, I wouldn't want to be without variable speed capability.

BKLochala

I'd be hesitant to buy an older lathe.  I bought an older Grizzly from a coworker and it didn't last long. I use a Rikon 18"  for all of my call making and smaller turning projects.

My first post, btw.. I'm glad I came across this forum.  I'm a long time turkey hunting addict, part time wood worker, and have dappled in call making for a few years but recently have become addicted to it. I used to pick at call makers on hunting forums because of how serious and meticulous they are, now I understand...

C W

I would stay away from a Craftsmen lathe. There are alot better lathes out there. It depends on how much you are going to use it. I would suggest you find a woodturning club in your nieghborhood and ask them. They are always willing to help a newbie with turning.
http://www.ovwg.org/
curt

Cut*N*Run

hgoutdoors

Thanks everyone! What attachments are a necessity for turning calls?

Lonehowl

Before you buy anything, I would reccomend  going over to THO Game Calls.com forum and spending some time using the search feature and reading up on this subject. It will save you time, frustration and maybe some cash. It will certainly cut your learning curve in half.
Mark

hgoutdoors

Quote from: Lonehowl on March 05, 2014, 03:19:27 PM
Before you buy anything, I would reccomend  going over to THO Game Calls.com forum and spending some time using the search feature and reading up on this subject. It will save you time, frustration and maybe some cash. It will certainly cut your learning curve in half.
Mark

Another forum member referred me to that site. I've been burning it up!

hgoutdoors

Buying a lathe tomorrow. What else is a necessity besides forstner bits?

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: hgoutdoors on March 05, 2014, 08:59:26 PM

Biggest rookie mistake- or at least my biggest rookie mistake- is letting the chisels get dull. Even sharp is too dull. They should be SHARP. There are different ways to sharpen, but you need to have something ready to go. On some woods, you may need to sharpen the same tool more than once on one call.

hgoutdoors

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on March 05, 2014, 09:42:09 PM
Quote from: hgoutdoors on March 05, 2014, 08:59:26 PM

Biggest rookie mistake- or at least my biggest rookie mistake- is letting the chisels get dull. Even sharp is too dull. They should be SHARP. There are different ways to sharpen, but you need to have something ready to go. On some woods, you may need to sharpen the same tool more than once on one call.

Just use a stone to sharpen I assume?

Cut*N*Run

Most people use a superfine grinding wheel or sanding belt. A stone will be okay for flat faced tools but very difficult for rounded tools like your gouge.