OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best striker for Pot Calls

Started by forcercon1, March 03, 2014, 09:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forcercon1

This might be an old topic for some, but I'm hoping to get a little help as I'm more experienced with mouth calls.

What's the best all around striker for a Slate, Glass & Ceramic pot? Please be specific about the type wood & tip if possible.

I understand it might be 3 different strikers but any suggestions from experience is greatly appreciated!!!

West Augusta

There is no best striker for all people and all surfaces.  How you hold the striker makes a big difference. You won't run one the same as I would.  There are many good striker woods that run on many different call surfaces.  My suggestion is to try as many as you can.  Try your buddies strikers, go to sporting goods stores.  Find what works for you and your calling style.  Have fun.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

WildSpur

Imo you can't go wrong with hickory for wood.  But you also have to carry a carbon striker with you too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

REBELYELL

Purpleheart, hickory or black locust and dymondwood

BowBendr

If I wanted to go out and just buy 1 striker any could only buy 1.....it would hands down be one of Wendell Ryes "Lights Out" dymondwood strikers. They sound great on any call you play them on.

captin_hook

If I had to pick just one striker for all pot calls it would be hickory.

forcercon1

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Safe hunting!!!

LARRYHAYNES

It's hard to beat a good ol purple heart
LARRY

pappy

Quote from: West Augusta on March 03, 2014, 10:00:27 PM
There is no best striker for all people and all surfaces.  How you hold the striker makes a big difference. You won't run one the same as I would.  There are many good striker woods that run on many different call surfaces.  My suggestion is to try as many as you can.  Try your buddies strikers, go to sporting goods stores.  Find what works for you and your calling style.  Have fun.
Absolutely right, it is up to you to find what suits you ..... trial and error....practice and patience...that is what a good hunter needs...not a certain material striker. That is why you see so many hunters with a bag full, they have tried them all and massive confusion arrives come Spring.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

panhandlehunter

scoot12

dymondwood and purpleheart a close second.  Scoot

VanHelden Game Calls

The design of the striker plays as big a part as wood selection.
Trying different makers is the only way to go, you will run across a design that just works and fits "YOU".   :z-winnersmiley:

These are just my opinions of course :OGturkeyhead:

SouthernStrut

I would have to think osage orange would be up there somewhere for best all wood striker.  It's my #1 with purpleheart, bubinga, ebony, and ash mixed in there in some order.  All completely different sounds but great striker woods.  If I had to carry just one striker in my vest it would definitely be osage.  I just turned a few new ones out recently for some slate calls.  Sound real nice on every call I had in the shop.
Blake
Southern Strut True Custom Calls
- True Custom Glass, Crystal, Copper, Slate, etc.
www.southernstrutcalls.com

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk.  Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.  It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."  -Fred Bear