OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice for a newbie

Started by hgoutdoors, March 03, 2014, 09:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgoutdoors

Hey guys,
I'm really intrigued by friction calls and would like to take a jab at making my own. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos and checked out brooks ode and a couple others looking at supplies. What advice do you guys have for a guy just looking at getting into it? What would you do if you could go back and do it over again? Anything and everything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ol bob

hgoutdoors

Any advice? I'm also confused about how to create the pedestal for your sound board?

M,Yingling

What type of tools do you currently have ,,,lathe if you got a lathe what type chucks 4 jaw face plate  ,,band saw ,,,drill press ?
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

hgoutdoors

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 04, 2014, 12:05:04 PM
What type of tools do you currently have ,,,lathe if you got a lathe what type chucks 4 jaw face plate  ,,band saw ,,,drill press ?

I don't have access to a lathe but I do have access to a drill press and a band saw.

ky turkey hunter

I made my first few on a drill press with foster bit

hgoutdoors

Quote from: ky turkey hunter on March 04, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
I made my first few on a drill press with foster bit

Do you know off hand what size bits I'll need?

WillowRidgeCalls

Depends on what size calls your making? 3-1/2" call, you'll need a 3-1/2" and a 3-1/4".
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

hgoutdoors

3 1/2" is what I plan on starting with.

ky turkey hunter

I cut it out on a band saw to 3 3/4 in pot then I took a 3 1/2 foster bit and cut the ledge For the slate to set on then I took 3 1/4 foster bit and took out the rest of the inside to I was left with a 1/4 bottom took a 1 in hole saw cut me a table for my sound board to set on May not be the best way but that the way  I made it and took 2 toms with it and now I'm hooked I had 4 more to try this year I made the jump and got a lathe it's been fun making them the wife and kid has got in on making them

hgoutdoors

Quote from: ky turkey hunter on March 04, 2014, 05:59:57 PM
I cut it out on a band saw to 3 3/4 in pot then I took a 3 1/2 foster bit and cut the ledge For the slate to set on then I took 3 1/4 foster bit and took out the rest of the inside to I was left with a 1/4 bottom took a 1 in hole saw cut me a table for my sound board to set on May not be the best way but that the way  I made it and took 2 toms with it and now I'm hooked I had 4 more to try this year I made the jump and got a lathe it's been fun making them the wife and kid has got in on making them

Thanks a lot!! Pm sent.