OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth call presses..

Started by ericjames, March 02, 2014, 11:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericjames

Post some pics or your mouth call presses and had held jigs. What do y'all recommend for making calls for my own use? What are the benefits of each?

hgoutdoors

Bump for ya. Curious to see some responses

Joel0128

Making mouth calls is a whole lot of fun. Been making for a yr now with a hand held jig that I made for myself. Bought some of the leading company calls and mine sound just as good. Pioneer call has all the materials. Good luck.

Lonehowl

Press, dont have pic of tape cutter.

ericjames

Thanks.. Looks great, after I found out the price I will have to save a little more $$ before I can see one of these in my budget.. Thad has some very nice presses. I decided to get into box call building since I had most of the stuff to build them already. Next project will be either a lathe for pot calls or a press like you have here.. I have built 2 box calls this week in spare time. Give one to my father-n-law.

Lonehowl

You may have seen this that I posted in an earlier thread, but Thad also builds this hand stretcher...Ive heard its around 245-250.

ericjames

I believe thad told me 245 shipped for that one.. I have been talking to him for a little while about them. I was thinking about building a hand held jig myself. I even had a parts list made up on one.

Maintenancetech

What is your list consist of I was want to put one together myself. I like the smaller hand held unit but for 250 it sounds steep

gobblingghost

I have made mouth calls for 20 yrs with a mad call maker. You don't need to put bunch of money into to have fun.

outdoors

I GOT CURIOUS , AND SEARCH FOR MAD CALL MAKER ANDMCAME UP WITH THIS

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-calls-callpurrfect.htm
ONLY $46.00
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gooserbat

One thing you will figure out after you deal with Thad is the amount of thought he puts into his designs.  Yes he charges what seems like a lot, but for the amount of time he has invested in the design and production I'm sure it's cheaper than building one yourself after you factor in all the head scratching and mistakes that are bound to be made. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

gobblingghost

I looked at the call perfect years ago and I think it would only take 1 type of call frame

dfresh55

has anyone use the Purrfect one from turkey hunting secrets? look like a great way to start?

mikejd

Very cool tools.

I will stick to buying my calls from one of our very good call makers that we have on our site.

savduck

Quote from: Lonehowl on March 16, 2014, 07:50:51 PM
You may have seen this that I posted in an earlier thread, but Thad also builds this hand stretcher...Ive heard its around 245-250.

Thad quoted me 245. There are several guys that make this design hand jig. They all want 225 to 275. The other two calls makers have a wing nut type end piece, where Thad has a knob with measurements. You can dial your stretch in with his. The others you have to count your turns on the wing nut. Ive had calls made on table presses like this and they are top notch. Worth the investment.
Georgia Boy