OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Is "Sweet Spot" Determined - Crystal/Glass Slates

Started by bamagtrdude, February 27, 2014, 03:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Just picked up a new crystal slate call, and it's got the "sweet spot" patch from the factory.  I'm just curious -- maybe the custom call builders can chime in here -- how is that "spot" determined?  I mean, the entire surface is totally glass, in the beginning.

Again, just curious; the "sweet spot" on the call I just got sounds pretty good, but ...  I've always conditioned the entire surface of my crystal/glass calls & used multiple "sweet spots" on mine... 

Let me know; thx!
BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

ol bob

Only you can find the sweet spot nobody plays a call the same way are hears the same and you are the only one that counts.

Gooserbat

First if it's a glass or crystal you need to condition the entire surface before you find the spot.  Coincidentally the conditioned spot is not likely a sweet spot but rather just the call builder making a small place to play on a new call.  As a call builder I can say that most top shelf calls sound good and right no matter where you play them but as a player you will develop habits and styles that dictate how and where you play on a calling surface. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 27, 2014, 10:44:01 AM
...  As a call builder I can say that most top shelf calls sound good and right no matter where you play them but as a player you will develop habits and styles that dictate how and where you play on a calling surface. 

and that's why I've always conditioned the entire surface of every glass/crystal friction call I've ever had.  Just wanted to confirm that my original "thinking" was correct.

Thx Gooserbat!
BGD
---

appalachianstruttstopper

I condition every call completely. The sweet spot for me is where a friction call gives the best roll-over with minimal effort and error.

I also only condition my friction calls in 1 direction. This has worked well for me over the years.

bamagtrdude

BTW, just found this video -- http://youtu.be/zpZbbfizMVA

Mr. Holloran's explanation makes sense to me, although I still think there are advantages to be gained from conditioning the entire call surface (just like a plain ole slate - meaning you can use the entire surface of the call for your calling).
---

Greenshed Longbeard

I condition my calls entire surface but split the area generally into three zones for different striker and glass combinations.
Greenshed Longbeard

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Greenshed Longbeard on February 27, 2014, 06:58:18 PM
I condition my calls entire surface but split the area generally into three zones for different striker and glass combinations.

Good idea!
---