OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 youth 21 inch barrel with RSF choke

Started by jtoliver43, February 25, 2014, 11:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoliver43

hey guys, I have a few questions, I've ordered the stuff to polish my barrel. I have an 870 youth 21 inch barrel and plan to shoot FED HW # 7s with a RSF choke. Would I get the best results if I polished the barrel with the RSF choke in the barrel since it is non ported? or is it too tight of a constriction to polish? also, with this gun/shell/choke combo plus a polish (as done by the instructions on this site) can I expect even, consistent 150 plus patterns?
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

remmy1187

Polish the barrel with an open choke like improved cylinder.   Never know what numbers you will get til you shoot it, which is the fun part.  Try it before polishing and you might be pleasantly surprised. 

jtoliver43

ive shot this combo without polishing and was averaging 100 in 10 at 40, would like to even it up and increase pellet count. ive read way better numbers with this combo throughout the forums. any suggestions?
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

01Foreman400

If you are looking for numbers your money is better spent on a better choke.  Call Sumtoy.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

jtoliver43

I would agree that I could get better numbers with a better choke, Im hoping to win the sumtoy on here, for now money is tight and I think I can get better results with the choke/gun/shell combo I have on hand. thanks for the input and I welcome more from others, thanks guys!!!!
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

surehuntsalot

the choke you have is excellent for hunting patterns,I have seen alot of great patterns posted on here with that choke.I would try it before, I worried about another choke for more holes in a sheet of paper
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BowBendr

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 25, 2014, 08:33:07 PM
the choke you have is excellent for hunting patterns,I have seen alot of great patterns posted on here with that choke.I would try it before, I worried about another choke for more holes in a sheet of paper

I agree. It won't hurt to polish the barrel and it will probably help. How much ? Who knows, but the remington sf will surely put up a pattern with the HW 7's that should prove to be an excellent hunting pattern, maybe not the highest numbers in the 10 at 40 yds., but it will kill 'em real quick.

gophert

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 25, 2014, 08:33:07 PM

THIS^^^^^^^^

The Remington Super Full is one of the best chokes out there.  Polish your barrel and I would guess you would be more in the 120-130 range.  A sumtoy or any other choke is not going to out perform those numbers.  They may be close or similar, but for the money the RSF is hard to beat.