OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who is running an 870SM with a 28" barrel?

Started by C J Stahly, February 24, 2014, 09:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremesolo

My 28" 870 SM with a .665 Jellyhead has put 323 in a 10" circle at 40 with 3.5" 2.25 oz. hevi #7, it will also put up 116 in 10" at 40 with the old 3.5" 1 7/8 oz. Remington #4 hevi shot.  I have approximately 60 of these old Remington loads still.  Lots of energy in a #4 hevi.  I have not tried any new longbeards since I have a stockpile of #4, #6 and #7 hevi right now.

Miburmanelly

I have tried a dozen.  The winners are   Indian Creek & Rem Ventilator, good luck to ya.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: Miburmanelly on April 18, 2014, 01:45:42 PM
I have tried a dozen.  The winners are   Indian Creek & Rem Ventilator, good luck to ya.

Where can you get the Remington Ventilator? Seems like everyone that has one loves it. Is there an equivalent to the ventilator?

Miburmanelly

I am pretty sure it has been a dis-continues item for some time, however...you can sometimes find one in ebay.

Gummi Bear

I've used an 870SM with a 28" barrel for years.

I've put several in the freezer with it, using the Remington Nitro Turkey 3½" shells and what looks like an older Primos TiteWad choke (the printing is worn off of it, I can't remember what the heck it is).  I don't make shots on them over 30 yards (if I can't call these Rio's in closer than that, I need to quit).  Where I hunt, the cover is extremely heavy, and often the shots are 10 yards or less.

As soon as turkey season is over, the 18.5" barrel goes on the shotgun, and it is stuffed full of #00 buckshot as a backup pig gun, and spends most of its time riding on the quad at the ranch.

*disclaimer*
I'm entirely too lazy to fret over how many pellets are in a certain area, so long as my bird falls over dead. So I have no real input on that.