turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SX3 patterned today with pics

Started by cahaba, March 13, 2011, 12:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahaba

This is my first attempt to post pics so please bare with me.
My wife purchased this SX3 for me. I have some disc problems and recoil is a problem. This gun shoot alot softer than my pump.

This is what the patterns are averaging. It seems like a good hunting pattern to me. Would yall give me some of your thoughts. Thanks

shootumindaface

The numbers are good enough.. I would want to shoot it 3-4 times.. If your pattern continues to be thin low I would move it up..

Snoody Bastid

That's a fine looking shotgun. Pattern looks good to me.
BTW- the only thing my wife ever buys me is beer :-\

R AJ

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 13, 2011, 12:52:09 PM
The numbers are good enough.. I would want to shoot it 3-4 times.. If your pattern continues to be thin low I would move it up..

If you are using a bead as shown and pattern is thin low you would need to have less front bead showing or LOWER your barrel. I think that shootum was thinking crosshairs.
Your pattern looks good.

Gobble!

cahaba

I did lower the pattern. I have Truglo Pro series fiber optic sights. I shot it at 20 yards and after adjusting it was punching out the bullseye and stil had a good 8 inch pattern.  I tried Hevi #6 2 oz. and averaged 207 but the pattern had voids. Thanks for yall input.

Thanks snoody The only thing I dont like about this gun is the trigger pull. Do any of you have any advice on how to correct it.

chipper

Here is my pattern with the same setup except I'm shooting 7's from a few weeks ago, I added the pro series sight to bring my pattern down a few inches and love it! I've got a .675 choke coming and am going to repattern. Good Luck. 265 in the 10"  501 in the 20"     Also keep that choke really clean, I was bore snaking 3 times after every shot and my #'s kept dropping till I started cleaning my choke every third shot with Hoppes and a bronze brush, It will surprise you how much plastic the wad catchers hold and it does effect your numbers.

cahaba

Good looking pattern. I was bore snaking after every shot but didnt clean the choke. I  may try a Pure Gold .670. Let us know how that .675 works. I may try one also. Thanks for the advice.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WyoHunter

Looks good to me! Years ago when I started hunting turkeys the first 3 or so never had ant shot in the breast or lower neck. I finally patterned the gun and my pattern was hitting where yours does. My aimpoint was his head so just hold in the middle of his neck and you've got your bird!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

joshua

Fine looking turkey slayer you got there and she spits some mean looking venom also.   :anim_25: this spring.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

BOFF

Pattern looks deadly. I can't quite tell about the outside pattern around the 10" ring, but as long as it is even keep it.

Question for you. Are you measuring 10" around the POA, or are you placing the 10" circle around the best area of patten on the paper? It appears the 10" circle is around the point of aim. One measures the 10" circle and number of shot around the best consistency of the pattern regardless of POA.  You may already know this.

If the best pattern is around the point of aim, and there is an even amount of shot around the 10" circle with no holes, keep the choke, shells, and go kill a bird. It just looks to me like there are more shot bunched up at the top which are not in the circle.

God Bless,
David B.

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

Reloader

Very dead bird any way you slice it. 

Jourdan_D

Quote from: BOFF on March 13, 2011, 06:36:22 PM
Pattern looks deadly. I can't quite tell about the outside pattern around the 10" ring, but as long as it is even keep it.

Question for you. Are you measuring 10" around the POA, or are you placing the 10" circle around the best area of patten on the paper? It appears the 10" circle is around the point of aim. One measures the 10" circle and number of shot around the best consistency of the pattern regardless of POA.  You may already know this.

If the best pattern is around the point of aim, and there is an even amount of shot around the 10" circle with no holes, keep the choke, shells, and go kill a bird. It just looks to me like there are more shot bunched up at the top which are not in the circle.

God Bless,
David B.

:agreed: :agreed: looks like if you move the 10" circle up about an inch or two you would pick up a bunch of pellets being missed.

David