OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning BPS deer style for turkey?

Started by Mild Bill, February 22, 2014, 08:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mild Bill

A question about the following Browning BPS

Browning made a BPS version with a parallel stock, and a 20.5" barrel with rifle sights.

the barrel was set up for regular invector style (winchoke) and it seems like it came with a long rifled choke for it,

has anyone here measured the bore on one of these and or put a decent turkey choke in it and seeing what it could do.

I saw one in the used rack at a local place today and it sort of started the wheels between my ears turning.... like I don't already have enough shooting related stuff already....

thanks for any feedback
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

the Ward

Sounds like the "Game Gun"  version of the bps. The browning bps is a very good shotgun. If this is a game gun version it should have a beveled lock ring/washer under the magazine cap that is visible if you remove the cap.They use the standard invector barrel that is a standard bore and takes the  common and easy to find standard invector/Winchester/chokes. If i remember right i believe that they are also drilled and tapped for the factory scope base.That would make an excellent platform for a dedicated turkey or dual purpose deer/turkey rig. That's what they were made to do. If the price is right I'd grab it!

R AJ

I have that barrel and also another invector + ,both in 3" version. I do believe that my rifled barrel is 18.5" and the inv+ is 22.5. You can get an invector choke from lots of mfgrs. as this fits Winchoke, old Ruger, Savage models,etc. The SSX is in invector or inv+, but others such as Sumtoy, Trulock, Carlsons, IC, Kick's and others have chokes to fit this gun. The inv barrel with a cyl bore or imp cyl makes a great slug gun without the rifled choke. Try A Federal Tru Ball in it.

Note: What is set for slugs does not mean that it is fixed for turkey loads to be dead on.

joeyc

This is the gun I have used since 1995.  The barrel is 20.5 in. and it came with an extended turkey choke.  I used lead #5 and #6 and it put 100 -110 in a 10 in.  I now use a Jellyhead choke with HW #7 and with this is 200 in the 10.  As someone stated it is drilled and taped and came with the mounting rail.  I have a 1x4 leupold on it.  Paid $360 for it new with the rifled choke tube.

Mild Bill

thanks for the feedback

might have to go see if it is still there.
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

jwm1485

I got a BPS a few years ago and really like it.

Clint Shook

If you get this gun let me know.   I have 3 an Invector chokes that should fit it.    Two Hastings turkey and one rifled choke. 

Mike Honcho

I believe there are several barrels for sale on ebay that are this exact barrel you guys are discussing...one seller has multiples available.  If I had a 12 gauge BPS I'd be bidding but I don't.  I like the concept.