OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cabela's Private Label Calls

Started by Turkey Trot, February 20, 2014, 12:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

I received a Cabela's turkey catalog within the last couple of weeks and just got around to perusing it last night.  I notice that Cabela's is now selling a small line of private label calls including pots, boxes, and mouth calls.  They are priced for profit and as high or higher than a lot of customs, but obviously production line made.

Anyone heard who is making those calls for them?

Anyone held one to know how good or bad they are versus other high volume commodity calls?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

sbbow

I held one the other day. Thought it looked very similar to woodhaven cherry slate. Took them both out of package and laid on the counter and looked them over. Just my  :z-twocents:

drum817

I saw those calls too.  For what they are asking I'd personally just buy custom calls....but to each his own!!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Old Gobbler

There is quite a few large scale production outfits that specialize in " farming" out calls for other big labels - or I like to call " ghost " makers - these are super big contracts they fulfill we are talking tens of thousands of calls -  it can be mouth , box , pot call etc.... You would be surprised how well they sound , not the cabelas calls in particular , but some of the sub contracted calls in general -

They typically have a very good reputation for quality of construction  and sound -but with some types of calls there is a tuning aspect that goes into it , and tuning takes time with certain friction calls , and sometimes there is only so much you can invest into a call before it gets boxed up and sent to the label - your not going to get a hour of tuning put into a call that some guy is only turning 5-10 bucks on , that's not to say it won't sound good , it's saying if your in the store play about 10 of them and pick out the best one if it meets your standards

Some of these farmed it calls sound very good , I was in bass pro shops the other day and for the heck of it I opened up the package of redhead/ basspro house brand ( ultimate reality something or the other) shops slate call , I think it was a slate over cedar , and it was a unibody call with no visible sound board it had a construction that looked very similar to a morgenson (sp) call , and man...... Did it sound VERY good , I mean real good .......19$ They also have a special crystal over carbon call that I didn't try , but might next time -  but the slate was off the hook - if you go to bass pro try it , you might want to take it home

Buying them without playing them is a gamble , but if your in the store don't turn your nose up at them is my ideology , I tried several other calls that sounded like a wounded raccoon giving out its final death rattle - it's a real hit or miss buying mail order catalog
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

DirtNap647

I always like to run the call im gonna buy to me they all sound different...just something about buying one from a custom call maker though