OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Rem. 11-87 20 ga.

Started by cluck, February 19, 2014, 05:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluck

She's only been shot 5 times. Two times with Fed. HW #7 1 1/2 oz. The first shot, about one week ago only put 90 in a ten inch circle at 40 yds. I decided to clean the barrel really good. Didn't polish it just clean. Shot it the second time today. Better weather today. It put 127 in ten inch circle and another 139 in twenty inches. 266 total. Choke is a rem. superfull. I would like to keep the shot count around the 130 mark. Would the sumtoy choke put it way over that? And does his choke shoot lead good at 40 yds? Many thanks,     cluck

R AJ

The answer to your two different questions is most likely yes and most likely no.

I suspect that the Sumtoy will possibly go 140-160 but no guarantee. Any 120-130 is good.
As far as a lead pattern at 40 yards with lead I would say that it is about as good as any, HOWEVER, my lead experiences with  20 gauge is generally limited to 30 yards and in some cases even 35 but at 40 yards and lead that is a stretch usually. It would just about have to be lead 6s or 7.5s for 40 yard patterns and I don't feel warm and fuzzy about mixing 7.5 lead and 40 yards as a recommended recipe for turkey supper.

It i snot imperative to get above 130 in the 10 at 40 yards and IF you don't shoot past 30-35 yards you can have very acceptable 30 yard numbers that won't raise an eyebrow at 40. So goes the 20 eccentrics.

ahfox16

RAJ nailed it.  I had a remington 870 and shot every lead shell made with probably 5 different choke tubes.  None were good enough to make the cut at 40 yards.  Probably the best with the factory tube was the Winchester size 4 (yep, size 4).  That would have made a decent 35 yard shell.  Finally said the heck with this and went to Nitro in size 7 using a Pure Gold .570 and jumped the total to 170 average at 40 yards.  Also did a Indian Creek at .555 and averaged similar number of hits.  Sold that gun like and idiot and now shoot a Benelli Nova with a Sumtoy 562 and Heavyweight size 7's.  Running about 150 hits now and that's plenty.  All said and done I should have kept the Remington, it was the SPS-T Camo version they made for only a couple of years.