OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2014 HTL 20 gauge loads?

Started by chris30br, February 18, 2014, 02:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris30br

Has any of you guys tested the loads from hevi 13 in #7 and federal heavy weight #7's, both in the 3" loads from this years batch? Please keep us posted on how they pattern. I know some guys are saying how bad the 12 gauge hevi shells are pattering and was curious if hevi has changed the 20 GA loads also

ahfox16

Not this year.  Last year the Federal Heavyweights were much better in my gun then the Hevi-13.  Shooting a benelli nova. 20.

nyhunter

Crockrj

I posted this in another thread. Hope it helps.
Well, I shot my 20 today. Wanted to make sure the FF was still on. I shot two shells of last years lot #s and got 195 & 183 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I love this shell and Sumtoy .562 choke combo. Deadly on the turks.   
I purchased a box of the lot# 5P-10P3593 (Bass Pro had these for this season) the other day and wanted to try and see how they compare. I ended getting 129 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. A decrease of 34% of shot from the 195 earlier.   I used a bore snake in between each shot twice to keep things sort of consistent. There were large holes in the pattern and just not that all impressive. Wanted to give anybody a heads up who is looking to shoot the new Federal lot #. I hope you have better luck with them than I did. Luckily, I have quite a few boxes of the older lot #s.
First pics is the last year's lot # and then this year's lot#

rem 300

I would think that with the price of these loads they should be more consistant!!! Kind of crazy to me that they vary so much??

nyhunter

Quote from: rem 300 on February 20, 2014, 08:49:02 AM
I would think that with the price of these loads they should be more consistant!!! Kind of crazy to me that they vary so much??
Thank you... I feel the same way.

BowBendr

Quote from: Crockrj on February 20, 2014, 08:30:22 AMI purchased a box of the lot# 5P-10P3593

Crockrj, did you mean to say 5P-10PJ593 ? Just checking yours vs. mine......
What were the old lot #'s that put up the 195 ? Thanks.

**Edit : Nevermind, I saw the other thread.......