turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Has anyone

Started by WV Ridge Reaper, February 16, 2014, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Ridge Reaper

Has anyone cut shells to see the pellet count..Sure someone has.

I'm starting to round shells up and wanted to count the pellets inside of these different shells I will be trying out.

Here some pictures...Could someone explain the seeds in the second picture ? Those came out of mag blend shell

Winchester Double X number 5s

Hevi Shot Mag Blend 5/6/7s

Sent from West By God Virginia.

Grizzlybeard

Shot count depends on 2 factors, shot size and how many ounces contained in a given shell. For instance #6 is gonna have more than #4. If you give me a couple hours I can give you shot counts for different sizes and shot weights. As far as the "seeds" I'm not sure cuz the pics aren't loading for me but sometimes there is a buffer in with the shot. It helps the shot stay together and pattern better in some instances.
GrizzB

hookedspur

Flax seed used as a buffer I think
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WV Ridge Reaper

I know shot size will change that..I was just curious,these aren't the only shells I will be trying.

The numbers you have would be awesome tho!!

I thought maybe the seeds had something to do with moisture,or like my buddy said...take a turkey make a food plot haha.

SCDieselDawg

Wouldn't shooting those open the potential for baiting? Lol. I guess they had to cut costs somewhere!

scdxt

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on February 16, 2014, 08:14:20 PM
Wouldn't shooting those open the potential for baiting? Lol. I guess they had to cut costs somewhere!
The best new dove load on the market!!!

klemsontigers7

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on February 16, 2014, 07:26:02 PM
Has anyone cut shells to see the pellet count..Sure someone has.

I'm starting to round shells up and wanted to count the pellets inside of these different shells I will be trying out.

Here some pictures...Could someone explain the seeds in the second picture ? Those came out of mag blend shell

Winchester Double X number 5s

Hevi Shot Mag Blend 5/6/7s

I don't see any need to be concerned about flax seed. Hevi even talks about it on their website.

WV Ridge Reaper

It's not really a concern to me..I was just wondering what they was for.

They done me well last season.

Grizzlybeard

While these are approximates they are very close. #6 is 222 pellets per ounce #5-171 #4-135. I reload shotshells and this is the standard for each shot size right out of my reloading manual. Hope this saves you some shells!
GrizzB

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: Grizzlybeard on February 16, 2014, 10:08:02 PM
While these are approximates they are very close. #6 is 222 pellets per ounce #5-171 #4-135. I reload shotshells and this is the standard for each shot size right out of my reloading manual. Hope this saves you some shells!

Thanks man!!

Grizzlybeard

Glad I could help. I always shed a tear when I hear about a perfectly good hull being cut open lol!
GrizzB

klemsontigers7

Quote from: Grizzlybeard on February 16, 2014, 10:08:02 PM

Those numbers are incorrect for Hevi, that's Lead.

BandedSpur

See "Turkey Gun FAQ" sticky under "Turkey Guns" area of the forum for charts that list pellets/oz of all shot types

Grizzlybeard

Those numbers are incorrect for Hevi, that's Lead.[/quote]

That is correct. I should have specified. Hevi shot doesn't list a pellet count due to the fact that the shot sizes and shapes vary. But I will look through all my reloading info I'm sure there's an estimation somewhere. It may even be close to #1 or #2 lead. I'm not sure I've never used anything other than #5 lead.
GrizzB