OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Homemade wing bone

Started by Tripletoe, February 16, 2014, 01:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripletoe

How many people have made them and used them regularly with success I have a few sets of wing bones that I'm thinking of making a few it just seems like nobody I hunt around uses them or tube calls and I want a unique sound have the edge so to speak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Wingboneman

One of the best calls you can use, Just takes a lot of practice to get good. but that is with any call.

gobblingghost

Have been making wingbone calls for years. I usually give them away.

Gawhitaker

As Wingboneman stated One of the best calls you can use, Just takes a lot of practice to get good. but that is with any call.
Agree 100%. I've had good results using them, have spent countless hours practicing, and am still learning

Wingboneman

when the weather gets better im going to make a video to see if it will help people get started using one, just a few things you can do to get better and get started. may be one on youtube ,I just see people calling on one but no real how to video. It is people out there better then I'm on them but i will try to make one. dont  :TooFunny: when you see it.

outdoors

IVE HAD ONE I GOT YEARS AGO AND FOUND OUT , TO ME , IT'S A GREAT LOCATOR CALL AND SOME TIMES THEY COME IN , IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE SET-UP I HAVE AT THAT TIME .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

tomstopper

Quote from: Wingboneman on February 18, 2014, 08:21:04 AM
when the weather gets better im going to make a video to see if it will help people get started using one, just a few things you can do to get better and get started. may be one on youtube ,I just see people calling on one but no real how to video. It is people out there better then I'm on them but i will try to make one. dont  :TooFunny: when you see it.
That would be awesome. I have a generic one that I have been practicing on and when I start to get better at it, I want to upgrade to a real one. I have seen some and they are beautiful sounding.

appalachianstruttstopper

I love'em. Great authentic sound and fun to make and craft to your own preference. I have made alot of them and some of them sound better and are easier to play than others. I don't know why, but I have a couple that will practically play themselves and others that I get irratic yelps with.

Save up all your wing bones and have fun making calls. I make 2 bone and 3 bone, each has a different tone. Gobbler, jake, and hen also gives different call experiences.

alloutdoors

I love making them, and hunting them is lots of fun too.

appalachianstruttstopper

Awesome calls!!! I love to see quality craftsmanship!

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 10, 2014, 10:48:12 PM
I love making them, and hunting them is lots of fun too.

davisd9

I wish I was skillful to make my own wingbones, but I am not.  I will leave that up to Mr. Sharpe.  I will send him my bones so that he can check them to see if the fit his standard and then put together a piece of art for some lucky person.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

silverspur

On a day when your other calls just are not cutting it, a wingbone has saved my day. A little practise with basic turkey talk and you can have a lot of fun, especially if its with one you made.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs