OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Improving Pattern Suggestion?

Started by smalls, February 15, 2014, 08:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalls

Well, I shot again this weekend.  Pulled out the Federal Premiums, 3", No. 6.  I had cleaned the gun up real good before shooting, and aimed alittle higher on the target.  Worked like a charm.  Had 178 in a 10 inch circle at 30 yards.  Ill have to take a picture of the pattern when I get home Friday night, but I knew there was a reason I had those in my vest last season.  Funny, my PawPaw always has sworn by Federal #6.

Of course, that was steel shot for ducks, but I guess its a good one no matter the kind. ;D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

jakesdad

You ran steel thru a .665?You might want to not do that again or you'll be beggin for trouble.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: jakesdad on February 24, 2014, 12:42:28 PM
You ran steel thru a .665?You might want to not do that again or you'll be beggin for trouble.
To expand on that, I'd unscrew your choke. The problem my buddy had was the choke tube expanding inside of his barrell and he could not get it out. We were told that it was from shooting steel through such a tight choke not made for steel. Steel does not compress on the way out.

smalls

Nah, wasn't shooting steel.  Mist referencing my pawpaw's preference for federal #6.  Just thought it was ironic that what patterned best in my gun was aa federal Turkey load in #6.

I may be pretty new to Turkey hunting, but I'm not an idiot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

d.winsor

For a Remington .665 is a good choke for #5 Shot, Also if you get a roll of paper make it white, the brown paper is hard to see where the shot struck.  One other thing I would try some Winchester Long Beard XR #5 shot in 3" or 3.5",  I have some to try but have not been able to pattern them as yet.  Feedback on the forum say they are awesom, might even replace htl at 1/2 the price.