turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aluminum pot call recommendation?

Started by MikeStaten, February 15, 2014, 06:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

I recently picked up an aluminum in walnut from Lonnie Mabry, near Canton, GA.  Unfortunately for out-of-staters, he does not ship.  It is black aluminum, and I suppose it is anodized rather than powder coated.  I have been running one of strikers with synthetic tip on it, and holy mackerel does it sound great and is easy to use.  I put it in the hands of a kid and he made it sound great too.  It's hard to beat an experiment with aluminum for $25.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

scoot12

Lonnie Mabry makes awesome pot calls.  Scoot

Tom Talker

Lonnie's box calls are some of the best I own. I have about 8 of his boxes and about the same number of his pots. Absolutely awesome!

Lonnie Sneed also makes an incredible aluminum pot called the Terminator. Gobblers cannot resist it.

Footballer

What's the difference in sound between a slate soundboard and a glass soundboard?

rutandstrut

Slate will usually produce a more raspy (yaaawk) bottom end. Glass will usually produce a clearer sharper bottom. There are a lot of.other factors that determine what a call will.sound like...depth of pot, thickness of sides and bottom, width of calling.surface lip, glue and amount used to put call together, thickness of calling.surface and sound board etc.etc.

mspaci

I will second Bill Lymans  Wenge Aluminum with his dymondwood striker.  Mike