OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shot the 1187 today. Mag blends disappoint.

Started by SC_WILDMAN, March 12, 2011, 03:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC_WILDMAN

Shot my 1187 20 ga. 26inch barrel today. I shot the RSF, GSX and a SSX, using Hevi-13 #7's, Fed Hvy Wgt #7's and the Mag Blends. All shots were at a measured 40 yds, temps in the 60's and unpolished, dirty barrel. Results below.

Hevi-13- #7's - SSX -152 in the 10"

Fed Hvy Wgt #7's - SSX 172 in the 10

Mag Blends - SSX -  86 in the 10

H-13 #7's- RSF- 122

Fed #7-RSF- 147

Mag Blends- RSF- not worth counting.

GSX patterns were splotchy and did not compare with the other two chokes.

Conclusion: I finally found a load that even the SSX doesn't pattern well, the Mag Blends. After the great results i got with the 12ga. Mag blends, i was hoping for a better showing. I am again impressed with the SSX choke tubes. I think it would be hard to beat this choke as a starting point for folks looking to improve their patterns.
 I think my patterns will improve a good bit after a barrel polish, But i wouldn't hesitate to take a 40 yd shot with either the RSF or SSX using either of the heavier than lead # 7 loads. Will post results again after barrel polishing.

shootumindaface

How long is your barrel and how many rounds of each did you shoot

SC_WILDMAN

Shootum, my gun has a 26 inch barrel. I only shot one round in each choke. I am waiting till i do my barrel polish before burning up too many of these expensive shells. I just wanted a rough idea how good the patterns would be in an unpolished barrel.... and also i just felt like shooting today.  :icon_thumright:

TrkyHntr

I hate that the GSX didn't do well for you. That ssx is a great choke. I wish I didn't give mine away now. I should have did some more testing with it.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

hookedspur

I couldn't get the blends to shoot well either.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hardtime_NC

Theres no dollar sign on a piece of mind!

shootumindaface

SC_WILDMAN

Shane, I haven't given up on the GSX yet. I still want to pattern some pB loads through it yet, that might just be where it will shine.