turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nitro's vs. Longbeard

Started by spencerhoosier, February 12, 2014, 01:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencerhoosier

I typically shoot M517F 4x5x6x7 mega-weight Nitros and have had good success from them. I was wondering what the overall difference in performance would the Nitro's have over the Long Beard or vice versa. Would the penetration be considerably better in the Nitro's since they are not lead? What about downrange energy? The price difference between the two is pretty big and am considering making the switch (if the Long Beard's pattern as well as the Nitro's). Assuming that they pattern close to each other, what is gained or lost overall on each shell? Any help would be appreciated!

davisd9

There is no comparison in the knock down of the mega weights compared to lead shells such as the longbeards. The mega weights are denser and hit like a truck. The penetration and energy from them stand much higher than lead shot.

It comes down to how dead is dead. The heavier than lead gives the shooter confidence that if you misjudged a bird's distance a few yards it still has plenty of energy to get the job done with out having to possibly chase a bird down.

The heavier than lead shells cost more but in reality it is a very small cost compared to the other spending that is done to Turkey hunt. I like shooting and just sitting there soaking in the adventure that unfolded and a second to thank the Lord. I do not miss shooting and then jumping up and running to a down bird. As long as I can afford to shoot heavier than lead without burdening my budget then I will. Nothing against lead and would have no issues going back to lead #5s if I had to.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Nitros will win in all aspects of comparison except price.

I run nitros out I my browning and h13 through my 870. For the 10 or so turkeys I kill each year, I'm ok knowing that my guns are shooting ammo capable of maximizing their potential.

Performance comes with a price. Even if the price difference equates to a 4-5 dollar per round difference, that's negligible when it comes to the total investment a lot of turkey hunters have in each season.

JMHO, I'm sure you'll get a plethora of opinions on the matter.

spencerhoosier

Thanks, I'll just stick with my Nitro's!!

BandedSpur

At 40 yds, it makes no difference  ;)

beagler

Downrange penetration will be far superior with the H-T-L loads. That's all I shoot these days, for both turkey and predators.
Never Misses

stinkpickle

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

VaTuRkStOmPeR

But at "40" yards it definitely does

blueridgegobbler

Nitros all the way shot lead for years but no comparison in the two. Longbeards put up some good patterns I have seen but HTL is the way to go. $1000 for a gun $100 for a choke whats $5-$7 for a shell that is the final point in a hunt just my opinion.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIt comes down to how dead is dead. The heavier than lead gives the shooter confidence that if you misjudged a bird's distance a few yards it still has plenty of energy to get the job done with out having to possibly chase a bird down.

What he said above is exactly right.  HTL is some bad stuff.  However, if you truly are going to limit your shots to 40 Yards, and you are not prone to misjudging your yardage by as much as 8 to 10 Yards....then HTL is not going to give you much "value" over LongBeards, because they are both plenty good at 40 Yards.

It's like shooting 2 Deer through the Lungs at 40 Yards.  Shoot one with a 30-06, and shoot the other with a .300 Magnum; then tell me if the .300 Magnum is worth the extra cost of the shells.  The only arguement for the .300 Magnum is what it can continue to do for you much farther out than 40 Yards.

owlhoot

:morning:
Penetration is better =yes

Downrange energy better= yes

pattern = with 4,5,6,7 against what size in longbeards ?

Price difference = agreed

Have not killed any turkeys with longbeards to know what is gained or lost.??

Chris Downs

From what I saw and heard at both the Jebs booth and Indian Creek both, you're not going to lose pattern density by going with the longbeards but if you like to stretch out the ranges then you'll definately lose penetration and energy. It's still lead and it's gonna fall off after 40 pretty quick. The Jebs guys said the only thing that scared them about the longbeards was that some guys would get a false sense of security buy looking at the patterns at 40 and think they could consistantly kill at 60. The pattern may still be good but the energy is really gonna tail off.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: blueridgegobbler on February 16, 2014, 09:15:45 AM
Nitros all the way shot lead for years but no comparison in the two. Longbeards put up some good patterns I have seen but HTL is the way to go. $1000 for a gun $100 for a choke whats $5-$7 for a shell that is the final point in a hunt just my opinion.

I guess this is the difference in me and most of the hunters out there.
I will never pay 1000.00 for a gun of any kind
I will NEVER pay 100.00 for any choke tube made

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Xcal1ber

Like was stated above, it really doesn't make a difference at 40 yards, and if you are darn sure that your shots are 40 yards before you pull the trigger than I would go with the Long Beards on price alone. Because like I said, they'll both kill one graveyard dead at 40. Now if you are like a lot of people, and have trouble judging 40 yards in an open field, then you want the insurance of the HTL shells. I know me and a buddy misjudged the heck out of a couple turkeys last year, but we was using HTL and brought the birds down stone cold. If you are confident that you will keep shots at 40 yards and under and not make a mistake then I say go with the LB's and save some money. If not then go with the Nitros.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.