turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Magblends or HW7?

Started by reynolds243, February 12, 2014, 08:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

Going to the 20g world. What seems to be a more popular shell considering patterns and overall turkey killed. Have shot magblends for years in my 12 but have been told HW7 are the cats meow in 20s

R AJ

You can kill birds with both O. K. ?  In order to maximize pattern coverage and have very lethal shot energy at 40 yards you just can't beat the Fed HW #7 load for 20 gauge. You only have 1.5 oz of shot in the 20.

Fed HW weighs 15 g/cc while the Mag Blend shot are 12g/cc or 13g/cc at the most. Why use up space with #5 and #6 shot when the smaller #7 shot could be used?

As for the FC wad issue the 20 gauge shells work for SSX, GSE,  SumToy, Rem SF, Carlson, Trulock chokes among others. :z-twocents:

cohuttariverrat

My gun liked Fed HW 7 better than the magblends. Both was good at 40yd but the HW put up better numbers for me

FL-Boss

Fed HW #7, 3in.... hands down for the 20ga

darron

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 13, 2014, 06:28:11 PM
Fed HW #7, 3in.... hands down for the 20ga

What he said! I have a 870 20ga with 26" barrel and I run the 3" FHW 7's with a SSX choke and I have hit 200 before at a lasered 40 yards with a cleaned barrel. I couldn't believe my eyes. I posted my results in the patterning section last year I believe. I am consistently getting in the 180's.

I was getting 140-150 with H-13 7's which is still a good pattern.

Crawl79

Never considered using my 20 gauge as a turkey gun but will be doing some research. I have killed everything else with the gun, I am sure if I put in the work I can get a good turkey pattern.

owlhoot

Shoot the Hevi weight feds in 7 shot with the right choke and you will be AMAZED !