OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need Help Picking a 20 ga for My Son

Started by Extremesolo, February 12, 2014, 07:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremesolo

I have been wanting to buy a 20 ga 870 for my 10 year old for a little while now.  I have a burris speed bead scope to put on it and I have a Remington super full in the gun cabinet.  I know it would need to be drilled and tapped to mount the scope.  I also want to mount an adjustable stock on it so that I could also comfortably use it if I wanted to.  Lately I have been thinking I should also consider a Mossberg, or a Charles Daly as well.  I would still like the ability to put an adjustable (knox type) stock on it.  I know the mossbergs come already drilled and tapped so that would not be a concern.  Is there an adjustable stock set made for a 20 ga Mossberg?  Pattern wise, I really liked the patterns I got from a friend's 870 with the super full, can I expect good patterns from the Mossberg or Charles Daly and any of the cheaper chokes or will I need to buy a pure gold or sumtoy to get good patterns.  I have federal HW #7, hevi-13 #7 and hevi-13 #6 in the cabinet to shoot out of whatever gun I decide to go with.  I would really like to get it all set up for him for his birthday in mid March so I am starting to run out of time to make a decision.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

FullChoke

Go with either the 870 or a Mossberg 500 for him. I don't know if can use the Burris SpeedBead as the webpage only lists their compatibility with 12 gauge guns. Drilling and tapping is required to mount a FastFire sight to the 870 since the Mossberg should come D&Ted from the factory. Certainly go with the tactical type adjustable stock, it will easily retrofit to either gun. Use the RSF choke with the Federal HW#7s and you will have a true 40 yard gun with some forgiveness in the pattern.

Good luck.   :icon_thumright:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Both the Mossy and 870 will shoot great patterns and yes you can get an adjustable stock for both.

To me the Knoxx Specops recoil reducing stock is the best option.  However they are no longer made and hard to find. 
another great option is the ATI stocks. They are made for both the mossy and Rem

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical-stocks/649-talon-tactical-shotgun-stock.html

Extremesolo

I just re-read my original post.  I put Burris speed bead but I meant I have a Burris Speed dot which is actually a red dot scope that is rail mounted. 

beagler

I purchased a Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug for my 7yr old daughter last season and ended up mounting a Burris FFIII on it for her.

Never Misses

Katmandew

Mossberg 510 or 500 super bantam would be what I would go with.  Already drilled and tapped so u won't have that hassle to deal with.  Both mossberg have adjustable length stocks via inserts and moss berg gives you a coupon For the super bantam for an adult stock to change out so it grows with the hunter or you could swap stocks if you want to use it.

Extremesolo

I sent a payment yesterday for a Mossberg 500 in a 20 ga.  It comes with a scope rail already on it and a pure gold turkey choke and 3 other chokes.  I am still planning on an adjustable stock and have a few questions but will start a new thread for that.  Will post pics once I get it all set up.