turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It's Official

Started by Beard Collecter, February 11, 2014, 09:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beard Collecter

This year will be my first year hunting with my 20 gauge exclusively. I have killed 4-5 turkeys with it the last few years, but only hunted with it part of the season. It is a NEF pardner 20g with a Kicks 560 choke. Last year I used the turkey thugs #5 shot and it patterned descent but it was only a 30 yd gun. I picked up some FHW #7 this weekend. My question is will this choke/shell combo work or should I not waste my time and ammo and just by a new choke. Also am I more than likely going to need to add a red dot? I prefer to just shoot a bead but I have a feeling I may need to go to red dot in order to get the best out of this gun/shell combo. I'm looking to have a 40 yd gun, nothing more or less. You guys are the experts, so show me the way. Thanks!!

R AJ

I do not know how the Kick's ported choke will work with the Fed HW #7 shot but the 560 is not a problem as such. That shell has worked in 550-575 in lots of guns as posted on OG. I honestly do not recall a Kicks 560 pattern shown using Fed HWs.
I have another Sum Toy 562-5 coming this week that is  made specifically for the Fed HW #7 load for my "new- used" Baikal 26" single barrel that I want to try this spring.

Hopefully it will be bead only friendly for my use.

mightyjoeyoung

Pick up a Carlson's .575 NON-PORTED choke or a Primos Tightwad, or a Truglo SSX for it on the "economy" side of things, or go with ANYTHING William at Sumtoy tells you to go with on the mid/upper priced side.  Either way, you should be happy and with William's chokes, you'll be way ahead of the having to try a bunch of different chokes game from the start.   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

another vote for the .575 Carlson or the .570 Tightwad
it's not the harvest,it's the chase