Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Win XR 3.5" #6 pattern CVA Apex and Moss 835

Started by UpstateHunting, February 10, 2014, 09:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpstateHunting

Since I keep seeing great things about these Winchester XR's I decided to give them a go and see what they would do in my CVA Apex and my Mossberg 835. At 40 yards the CVA with stock choke got 273 pellets, and the Mossberg with the Truglo Bone Collector choke got 297 pellets  :drool:. I think this will be my new long range shell this season, what y'all think?

UpstateHunting

Pictures aren't working right now, I'll try to post them later

drum817

Sounds GREAT!!!  Can't wait to see some pics!!!  CONGRATS!!!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

BandedSpur

Quote from: UpstateHunting on February 10, 2014, 09:58:53 AM
Since I keep seeing great things about these Winchester XR's I decided to give them a go and see what they would do in my CVA Apex and my Mossberg 835. At 40 yards the CVA with stock choke got 273 pellets, and the Mossberg with the Truglo Bone Collector choke got 297 pellets  :drool:. I think this will be my new long range shell this season, what y'all think?

Is that in a 30" circle? :toothy9:

kwild835

If by long range you mean 40 yards, then should be great.  Wouldn't trust lead 6's much further.

bigwayne17

UpstateHunting

Just letting y'all know what I got, not trying to show off. Barrel was deep cleaned prior to this. I'll post pics when I get back from work.

Xcal1ber

He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

Matt81302

I wouldn't call it a long range shell, because its still just a #6 lead shot. That being said, awesome pattern. My 835 is putting up 260ish at 40yds. Cant wait hit the turkey woods with them. Good luck this season.

UpstateHunting

Quote from: Matt81302 on February 10, 2014, 04:22:58 PM
I wouldn't call it a long range shell, because its still just a #6 lead shot. That being said, awesome pattern. My 835 is putting up 260ish at 40yds. Cant wait hit the turkey woods with them. Good luck this season.

I'm itching to go for sure. I can't believe the number's these are putting up. I just want to see how tight they are at 20-30 yds, not really game for shooting golf ball patterns in tight quarters.

And sorry if it seemed like I was a troll since I only had a couple of posts. Just been lurkin' looking at info for a while.

bigwayne17

^^^just would have liked to have seen pictures. Looks like you have them up now. Congrats.
(TIP: Just try to leave out things like 'long range', ethics police patrol these lands)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpstateHunting

It's all good, I understand. I have been pretty active on some other boards so I know what people do. And yeah should've said "open field shell" instead.

knightrider

no need to defend your self on here brother!! looks good just be carefull on those 20 yard shots :welcomeOG:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: knightrider on February 10, 2014, 10:02:29 PM
no need to defend your self on here brother!! looks good just be carefull on those 20 yard shots :welcomeOG:

That's gonna be the drawback to this stuff.  In order for lead to pattern that well at 40yds, guys are gonna miss with softball patterns at 20yds.