OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Primos Tightwad with Fed. HWs

Started by Punisher, February 09, 2014, 02:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

Is anybody running this combo, and what results are you getting?  I have some Fed. HW #6s and #7s I thought about running through the Tightwad choke.  Is there any use trying the two together, or would I  be wasting my time (and shells)?
I have been running a Sumtoy 562-5 through this gun, but the patterns seem patchy at times (even though 10" numbers are usually good).  I wanted to know if anybody has tried the Tightwad with these particular shells. 

TBab

Punisher I have the same question. Im trying to make a good setup for my wife and that is the combo Ill be trying. The only thing that I want to know, Does the 20 gauge HW #7's us the same flight control wad that it says not to shoot with a ported choke tube? Or does the 20 gauge shells not feature the flight control?
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

BowBendr

Quote from: TBab on February 09, 2014, 04:14:01 AM
Punisher I have the same question. Im trying to make a good setup for my wife and that is the combo Ill be trying. The only thing that I want to know, Does the 20 gauge HW #7's us the same flight control wad that it says not to shoot with a ported choke tube? Or does the 20 gauge shells not feature the flight control?

Yes, the Federal HW's do have the FC wad, although some claim that the 20 ga. wad is more flexible than the 12 ga. wads thus allowing them to be shot thru ported chokes with different levels of success. It's the 12 ga. guys that are having bigger issues with ports/wad catchers.

I'm pretty sure i've seen some pics up on here using that combo.

cohuttariverrat

That was first combo I tried in my Mossberg bantam. tightwad with hw#7 was getting me 110 in 10" @ 40yd. I also tried an HS undertaker non ported choke which gave me 130's. I polished the bore on gun and tired again. The tightwad bumped up to 130's and undertaker bumped up to 150's. The overall pattern the tightwad gave was not bad at all. I just had better luck with the undertaker non ported. Im thinking of trying either indian creek, sumtoy, or pure gold before this season. Then again I busted my first tom with that setup last season at 45yd.

Tom Foolery

Rem 870 Youth + Primos TW .570 + 3" HW #7 @ 42yds - 16" circle

My TW also shoots the H13 #6's 110-120 - 10" and 200+ 20" and H13 #7 130-140 in the 10" @ 42yds. 

A friend sold me 2 boxes of the Hevishot waterfowl 20 guage 6's @ 1250fps - they go 115+ from my TW. 

HW #7's are in the 130+ range 10" @ 42yds.

From my gun nothing has beaten the Primos TW.  I have tried the SSX, Rem SF and something else, drawing a blank, but the $15 TW has won out especially for evenness.

Tom Dooley

I have not tried the Tightwad but The .572 Undertaker does very well in my Mossberg Bantam. 40 yards is no problem. Also, you will get different results with different lot #'s of Heavyweight 7.

vaturkey

I spoke to a service tech. man from Federal several months ago. He stated that the Fed HW loads most of the time performed better through a non ported choke with no wad catchers ! Trulock makes a special choke in 12 & 20 ga just for the Fed Hw's. Also the Haymaker choke made by Indian Creek for Down & Dirty works well with the Fed Hw's !

vaturkey  :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Katmandew

I'll be patterning the TW with HW 7's and mag blends out of my super bantam as soon as Global Warming returns enough to give us 50 degree temps.

rcpigg65

I run the 570 tightwad in my Benelli nova with the HW7's and have gotten good performance with it . I also have a pure gold ported choke and really between the two it was about even , although dont recall the exact numbers I know they were around 130 . Kept using the tight wad because it shot lead 5's better and I still use lead in that gun sometimes but was confident in either choke .