turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Did Some more shooting Yesterday..

Started by shootumindaface, March 12, 2011, 08:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

Well the other day I did some shooting with Sals 20 inch 870 with H 13 and than fired one Fed through it with the SSX.. It put 140 in a ten inch but I wanted to compare it side by side with the Tempest 555 so I quit shooting..

All shots at a taped 40 yards
Ten Inch circles counted
Weather 36 degrees
18MPH wind gusting to 25 at 8 oclock

The first gun I shot yesterday was a buddies...

1187 21 inch BBL

Tempest 555
Shot 1

SSX 550
Shot 1
Shot 2

RSF 570
Shot 1
Too Poor to Count

Sals 20 inch 870

Tempest 555
Shot 1

SSX 550
Shot 1
Shot 2

Than I wanted to try my gun with the Tempest 555.. My gun and these feds is a mystery.. Last year I shot the RSF, Undertaker, PG 555 and also the SSX. The SSX gave me decent numbers but the H 13 had a better pattern..

870 26"

Tempest555
Shot 1
Shot 2

After the great results with the SSX earlier I decided to let one rip through my gun..

SSX 550

I ran out of ammo 3 inch ammo and only had 2 3/4 LOL Will do more testing this week with my gun to ensure consistency with the SSX.. But with that being said I will shoot the Tempest 555 as well, they are some of the most even patterns I have seen with a solid 15 inch circle..

Notes: The SSX does chew the wad as opposed to the other chokes.. One thing I noticed, if you shoot enough Feds you will notice at times there are clusters of pellets stuck together in the wad when you pick it up.. On the big number targets, you will notice areas where it appears these stuck pellets hit the target together.. Not like a snowman H 13 pellet, but an area the size of a dime with 7-10 pellets in it.. I think this may contribute to the inconsistency some folks are getting..

Additonally, I had not planned to shoot my guns this day.. The wind was hammering.. But with my buddies results I could not resist.. I know patterns improve as the weather improves, but I really cannot see how these patterns can improve.. If my gun holds in the 170s in 30s and 40s with the SSX, I will most likely not shoot it.. Too tight for my liking

VAlongbeard84

Good info Shootum. Glad the feds worked for you this time fairly well. Inconsistency is my biggest drawback on them, I just could not get them to shoot well back to back. You have a turkey killer out to 40 yards for sure, and in those conditions, the numbers really ain't bad at all IMO in the tempest, and the SSX in the 170s is an awesome number. Glad to see you can finally get your combo nailed down and bust some heads!

shootumindaface

Quote from: VAlongbeard84 on March 12, 2011, 09:21:13 AM
Good info Shootum. Glad the feds worked for you this time fairly well. Inconsistency is my biggest drawback on them, I just could not get them to shoot well back to back. You have a turkey killer out to 40 yards for sure, and in those conditions, the numbers really ain't bad at all IMO in the tempest, and the SSX in the 170s is an awesome number. Glad to see you can finally get your combo nailed down and bust some heads!
Thanks bud.. I will do some more shooting with the short barreled guns later with Sal behind the Helm so we can get it sighted in for her.. I am quite confident them numbers will hold and its the type of pattern we want..

As for the 170 I am willing to bet it will not hold, I might throw that barrel out and go to a 20 inch... I could honestly kill birds all day with the Temp 555 patterns.. As bad as I shoot on live birds it has margin for error

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

shootumindaface

Thanks guys.. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to try a 550 with no wad catchers and a 555-560 with parallel wad catchers..

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

shootumindaface

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 14, 2011, 08:41:31 PM
thanks for passing on the info
I finished out today and for some reason beyond control numbers were low across the board.. I shot my last years combo and it was low compared to last year..

SSX Rem 26" Fed 7s

I know the reason for the low pellet count however..

Tempest 555
102  Chokes going back