turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Problems with pot calls breaking...

Started by turkeykiller22, February 03, 2014, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

So over the past couple of weeks I had two pot calls break.... One was a David Halloran and the other was a dominator by Stumpy. I loved both of the calls so it kind of stings....

The calls were left in my truck in freezing single degree temps. Took the calls out and into the house, with no problems. I ran the calls both ran well. Picked up the calls a day or two later and they BOTH were cracked  ??? ??? ??? Not sure what the deal is?? Do you think it might have been taking the calls from the cold to the heat? Or do you think that they cracked in the cold and then when the heat hit the calls it expanded and the cracks show up?

Wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.... I sure hope not!

- Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Austy

If I had to guess I would have to say that the single degree temps probably didn't help matters much but don't quote me.  You have to remember the pots on those calls are made out of a piece of wood and wood will move with weather, humidity, dampness and temperature.  Even if the wood on the entire call is sealed real good it will still move.  I have had a couple of glass calls that I've made do the same thing on me not that it happens often but it does happen.  On the calls that I've had the glass crack on I was able to remove the cracked glass and replace it with a new piece with no problems since, to date.  I try to remind the folks that I am selling a call to not to leave their calls in their vehicles in the extreme heat and cold as it does the call no good.  I would touch base with the call makers and given the 2 fellas that you mentioned were the call makers I am pretty sure you will be happy with their resolution. 

drum817

Quote from: Austy on February 03, 2014, 07:07:52 PM
  I would touch base with the call makers and given the 2 fellas that you mentioned were the call makers I am pretty sure you will be happy with their resolution.

That stinks but like Austy said....  They will more than likely stand behind their product & I would call em' for sure!!!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

ky turkey hunter

It was more than likely the temperature I had a gun stock than cracked when I took it in from the cold

WillowRidgeCalls

When you took the calls inside and ran them, how long were they inside before you ran them? If you run a glass surface in freezing cold temps they will hair line crack because the glass can't handle that cold of weather, the vibrating of the surface cracks them. As the calls warmed up they flexed and swelled and that broke the glass all the way through. If you ever do that again, place the calls in your refridgerater, that warms them up slowly because your fridge is warmer, then take them out the next day and let them finish warming up in the house away from the heat. That will help keep them from flexing or swelling up. Us northern boys have to deal with that a lot, we hunt in the late fall seasons at -15/-25 and keep our calls in a pocket with a hand warmer.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott