OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Removing a stuck choke

Started by TnTurk, March 12, 2011, 12:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

I have a friend who's choke is stuck in his benelli. He hasn't had it out since last duck season and when he tried to remove it this year after season, it wouldn't budge. We have tried just about everything to get the darn thing out. We ain't got it to move yet. Not sure, but I think it's just a full choke that came with the gun. Do ya'll have any suggestions or secrets on how we could get this thing out without damaging the barrell.  God Bless

ILIKEHEVI-13

Squirt some Kroil between the choke and the barrel.  Let it sit overnite and then try it. 

natman

+1 on Kroil. If it's going to come out Kroil will loosen it.  You might also try heating the barrel (with a hair dryer, not a torch).

Odessa

Had a factory Crio tube stuck in a used Benelli M-2 I obtained from a friend last fall.  I stood the barrel straight up, dribbled Radiator Specialty Liquid Wrench penetrating oil (buy at Lowe's) into the gap between the tube and the barrel, tapped the barrel with a nylon hammer (tapped, not hit!) to work the Liquid Wrench into the threads and let it sit 15 minutes.  It broke loose when I turned it with a flat style choke tube wrench - but it still wasn't easy.  It is far easier if you use the type of wrench that is nearly barrel diameter and has a handle for leverage, like the Carlson's T-handle speed wrench (I own one now - by the way Benelli uses a narrow slot - a Browning Inv+ wrench is too wide to fit).  Why Benelli ships their guns with no lube on the chokes is beyond me - I use a light application of Tetra grease on my tubes to prevent seizing.

http://www.liquidwrench.com/products/#/Penetrating%20Oil/

http://www.choketube.com/accessories.html
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge