OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tuning box calls

Started by twinters, February 02, 2014, 10:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinters

Hey guy's I have been making a few box calls over the last couple of years{about 8-10}year.It seems every year I run into a different problem.Last year I was having trouble getting my lids rite,well I figured that out by making multiple lids. Well this year I am having trouble with the calls having a very raspy,almost scratchy sound when running them.I have made several this year,and only a couple had a very clean yelp.I really cant figure this one out,I have tried multiple lids on them,and getting the same result with just different tones.I have a template for the sides,and have matched them up very good.

I  have a variety of wood,from reclaimed poplar,to walnut,cedar,and hard maple.It has all been air dried except the hard maple.Thanks for all your help. 

SS Calls

Soundboards too thin possibly?

twinters

I am running them about 1/8th thick should I go up to 3/16th.

I have heard some folks say to make them thicker at the bottom of the sound board,and thinner at the top to get a richer tone.
I am not trying to make them to sell,just making some for friends,and a couple for myself.I just want something that sounds better than a production line call.I have some older calls,but really don't want to hunt them,one of which is a Doug Camp,and I really want to preserve it as I have had it for 20 plus years.Thanks for your reply.

SS Calls

twinters

thanks SScalls the link you provided was very helpful!

SS Calls

No problem. Glad it helped.  :you_rock:

AkDan76

curious if you could pm me that link also?

Thanks
Dan