turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 20GA change sight from plain ole' bead

Started by 762hunter, January 31, 2014, 11:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

762hunter

I've been working on getting my old 870 20Ga turned in to a Thunder Chicken killin' machine.

I changed out the old wooden express stock and forearm to the black Surshot stock and currently shooting the Undertaker choke.

I do not like the plain ole' bead/BB and want to change.

What would ya'll recommend? 
magnetic fiberoptic?
Burris Speed bead?
Red dot?
Also what mount?  Saddle mount? or drilled and tapped?

Thanks in advance.
pictures of your set up would be appreciated.

I've been toying with the idea of going with the Sumtoy choke and even having it dipped in bottomland but I know the turkeys do not care one bit what the gun that shoots em' looks like.

gophert

Here's my daughter's 870 20 ga.  We both shoot the Burris Fast Fire mounted directly on the receiver.  No doubt a turkey slaying maching!

762hunter

thanks Gophert, thats a good looking turkey blaster there!

looks like you had yours drilled and tapped to mount the fast fire?

Also what choke is that?

gophert

Quote from: 762hunter on January 31, 2014, 02:20:43 PM
thanks Gophert, thats a good looking turkey blaster there!

looks like you had yours drilled and tapped to mount the fast fire?

Also what choke is that?

Yep, we did have it drilled and tapped.  That choke is the Indian Creek .555.  My daughter actually shoots the Remington Super Full. 

pauld

It's all what you want. I like the Burris FF but for right now I'm shooting a Dead Ringer ghost ring style sight. No Batteries to die or anything of the such. If you're gonna mount an optic on it though have it drilled and taped.

jordanz7935

If u decide on an optic, then definitely drill and tap the receiver. I had my 870 20 ga D&T last year and killed both of my birds with a 1.5-4.5x32 mm scope with circle reticle. I decided that i didnt want the extra weight of the scope so i put on my trusty truglo red dot for this season. Also, i have the williams firesights sluggers on my 935 this year and i really like them alot. Really good adjustable sight for the money.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tail Feathers

If you're over 40, go with a red dot.  Or even a scope.  Defeintely drill and tap for them.
When you get bifocals you'll be glad you have the sighting aid. :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

FullChoke

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 01, 2014, 11:59:40 AM
If you're over 40, go with a red dot.  Or even a scope.  Defeintely drill and tap for them.
When you get bifocals you'll be glad you have the sighting aid. :help:
A to the MEN!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

ncturkey

If I could still see my sights I would use open fiber optic sights. I got my daughter a set of Tru-Glo Pro Magnum sights for her Remington 20 gauge. They are all metal and easy to install. My daughter loves them.

762hunter

I don't know waht I want to do.

Really wanted to go with the Fastfire but from what I have been looking at the speed bead only works on the 12 and not the 20.

May have it D&T but not sure thats the route I want to go either.  If I do is the 336 mount the one that I want to have it drilled out to?

May just go with the magnetic fiber optics but worry that they will get bumped off and lost.

Good thing I have a couple months to decide.

I would like to get this thing together so I can start shooting/sighting in.