OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Joined the 20 gauge owner's club-Pic added.

Started by Tail Feathers, January 30, 2014, 02:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Picked up a CVA single shot Scout 20 gauge today for the grandsons to hunt with.
It comes with a picatinny rail for the red dot I will put on it.  It has a turkey choke but I'll have to get some Fed HW 7's and see how it does.  If the choke is good all I need to buy is shells and a sling.
I liked the size and weight and it looks like it will make a real nice youth gun but it's enough gun for me to use it...er....test it out, too. :goofball:
Great size, turkey ready. Realtree APG stocks.Pic added:

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

R AJ

if you opt for the 2 3/4" Fed HW #7s for the grandsons that will be a good choice and i would try to keep it at no more than 30 yards depending on the pattern and capability of the young shooters.

Definitely look into getting the 3"-1 1/2 oz. #7s or 6s even as that is a fine shell for the 20 gauge.  Hevi-13 also has a #7 HTL load . In the lead shell the Federal FC wad in #6 is a good load out to 30 yards if you run out of luck finding THE shell.

Congrats to gramps on getting those kids hunting and out doors.

surehuntsalot

RAJ pretty well has it covered for you,the only one that I might add is if you ran across some of the lead Federal 3" #5's or 6's that were pre FC shells,you might want to try some of them too.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tail Feathers

Thanks guys.  I found some 3" Federal HW 7's on-line and ordered them last night.
I can't wait to try it out.  I will post up some pics when I get a chance.

Katmandew

Not sure about the CVA, but the mossberg super bantam I got for my kids cane with an XF turkey choke in it also.  It says "Lead Only" ruling out Hevi shot or fed HWT.  Make sure your factory choke can handle the HWT before you shoot it.

Katmandew

I've seen some great looking patterns from the new Winchester long beard lead loads as well.

R AJ

Quote from: Katmandew on February 04, 2014, 09:14:05 PM
I've seen some great looking patterns from the new Winchester long beard lead loads as well.

They do not make the Long Beard shell for 20 gauge as of this time. Hopefully they will become available for next year. :z-twocents:

Katmandew

Quote from: RAJ on February 05, 2014, 06:52:56 AM
Quote from: Katmandew on February 04, 2014, 09:14:05 PM

They do not make the Long Beard shell for 20 gauge as of this time. Hopefully they will become available for next year. :z-twocents:

Bummer.  The 12 ga patterns being posted look amazing.

schief

Tail Feathers

schief, I picked it up at Academy Sporting Goods.
$229 there.  I DO need to check the choke.  I unscrewed it enough in the store to see Turkey written on it.  Thanks for that reminder Kat.

Turkeykiller12

Thank you for the info about academy. I will give my local academy a call tomorrow and see if they have these in stock. Thanks again. Could you post a picture of the whole gun?

knightrider

Quote from: Katmandew on February 04, 2014, 09:12:56 PM
Not sure about the CVA, but the mossberg super bantam I got for my kids cane with an XF turkey choke in it also.  It says "Lead Only" ruling out Hevi shot or fed HWT.  Make sure your factory choke can handle the HWT before you shoot it.
any choke can handle hevi shot, it would take a LONG time to and ALOT of shooting to see negative effects from hevi in a lead "only" choke. disclaimer= but this is just my opinion and what i do, your testing may show different results :funnyturkey:

Turkeykiller12

Beyond aggrivated!! :angry9: I have called 2 different Academy sports and 2 other hunting and fishing stores in my area and none of them have this gun in stock. To make matters worse none of them could even find this gun in the catalog to even be able to order it for me!!! They can only find the scout made in several different center fire rifle calibers. Asking them about a CVA scout in a 20 gauge was about like calling and asking if they had an elephant that I could buy! :character0029:

Tail Feathers

I couldn't find it on CVA's site or Academy's site, but I promise, that's where I got it. ;D  Check the photo on your main page post.  I'll try to get a better one.  That one got fat looking in cropping...
I can only find an article or two in Googling the gun, but you see the chamber...no doubt that they make it.
CVA has a blog on their site that I found thru Googling, and it mentions the 20 turkey version.  Here's the choke and barrel end.  Here's the pic...still had photobucket pulled up.  The barrel is fairly thick, thicker than the extended choke.  Full gun photo is jacked in cropping.  It is NOT that stocky and blocky.  It's pretty sleek and handles and balances well.  The trigger is very good.