OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First 20 guage for the kids...

Started by jb177, January 30, 2014, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb177

I've read through pages of info on 20's.  I want to get a 20 for my 10yr old daughter but something my 7yr old boy can shoot too.  Both shoot a 223 and 410 with no problems.  The only uses will be shooting "at" doves, little squirrel hunting, and turkeys.  I've never owned a 20 gauge, started out with a 12... never even fired a 20.  I'm more concerned with recoil than anything else so I was leaning toward a semi-automatic.  I want something that feels good and is of quality.  I've got nothing against pumps (i shoot an 870) but thought they might have more perceived recoil.

Anyway.
- looked at the mossberg super bantam but have never held one in person.  I like the lop for the kids but not sure about the pump
- 870 youth seems to have adjustable lop, but i think it only goes from 13-14?  I know they make a "jr" model, but i don't want an 18" barrel

Haven't seen much on here about youth semi's so I need to do some research.

Anyhow... I'd appreciate any input you guys have.  I'll more than likely have to order whatever I get b/c inventory around these parts is slim at best.  No big gun stores around here that would have multiples to handle.

surehuntsalot

Depends on how much money you want to spend.
The Rem.870 youth or the Mossberg SB  are both pumps that will run you somewhere around 300-400 new.
The Rem 1187 auto is going to be anywhere from 650-750 new,alot of guys are liking the Mossberg SA20 and the Weatherby SA08(I think is right) both of these will run around 450-600 new
I started my son out with the Rem 870 youth and never looked back,matter of fact I'm hunting with it today.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jb177

Thanks.  I got the chance to handle a compact 11-87 and a super bantam.  The mossberg felt good but I need to take the kids and see what fits best.  The bantam adjusts between 12-13 LOP and the remington compacts are from 12-13.  I'm thinking pump now, at least for a first gun.  I also looked at the franchi affinity and that gun felt awesome but more money than I care to spend plus afraid the 24" barrel would be too much.

Katmandew

They are expensive but if I were going to get an auto 20, I'd get the Benelli M2.  It has the comfortech stock.  I have a 12 ga SBE with that stock and the recoil is minimal.  I'd expect very little recoil from their 20 ga.  It would be the perfect dove gun.  I may even get one myself with my tax return...haven't decided.  Got my kids a mossberg super bantam for turkey season this year, but haven't shot it yet.  I've heard recoil isn't bad at all on the SB.  We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gophert

Let me suggest something for you to try since you have a 10 yr old daughter.  My daughter killed her first bird at age 9 with an 870 20 ga using the Fed 2 3/4 HeavyWeight #7's (kill shot is my avatar).  Shooting the gun was not the problem, but holding it up while the bird is coming was the most difficult.  We tried the primos shooting sticks but she still had trouble keeping the gun from moving left to right.  Then I found this. 

It attaches to the barrel and the "V" at the bottom makes it completely stable.  She is 13 now and can pretty much hold the gun up, but she still loves this shooting stick while she turkey hunts.  I believe in setting youngsters up for success.  This really helped.

http://www.basspro.com/Hunters-Specialties-VPod-Gun-Rest-Model-00614/product/91442/

Katmandew

That's awesome that it's that lightweight and sturdy.  We tried the primos mono pod during deer season and mine couldn't keep it on target.  I figured out this year that the v shaped heads on those primos sticks are removable and will mount to any regular camera tripod.  I mounted mine to one of my sturdy tripods and it is rock solid, but the tripod is heavy and I'd have to tote that around in the woods.  Does this fold up after attaching to the gun barrel for easy carrying?

gophert

Quote from: Katmandew on January 31, 2014, 12:41:24 PM
That's awesome that it's that lightweight and sturdy.  We tried the primos mono pod during deer season and mine couldn't keep it on target.  I figured out this year that the v shaped heads on those primos sticks are removable and will mount to any regular camera tripod.  I mounted mine to one of my sturdy tripods and it is rock solid, but the tripod is heavy and I'd have to tote that around in the woods.  Does this fold up after attaching to the gun barrel for easy carrying?

Yes, it folds up and clips to the barrel.  It is also easily removed if you don't want to use it. 

jb177

I'm leaning toward the youth 11-87 after handling one.  It was a tad front heavy and that worries me some.    I read about the Weatherby sa-08 but it has a 12.5 LOP and doesn't appear adjustable.  The 24" barrel might be a little long for my kids but I really like the looks of the gun.  The reviews I've read here are good too.