OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 Loads Advice

Started by hunter177, January 29, 2014, 04:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter177

I just got a Mossberg 500 Turkey model 12 gauge. It came with the factory XX-Full turkey choke. I know you're supposed to try a bunch of load/choke combinations but it's just not financially possible right now. Has anyone had any experience with a 500 and Winchester shells in general? I bought 2 boxes of the Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps, 2 oz. of #5 shot. Has anyone had experience with the DoubleX loads. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

RAY

That is a great load to start with.  You will be happy with it.  If you can find Winchester Supremes (black shell) in the same shot size you might grab a box. But for now that gun should pattern very well with those.

surehuntsalot

you picked one of the best turkey loads out there to start with.
try them through the choke that came with the gun at 30 and 40 yds to see what you got.
I think you might be surprised,you don't have to put 200 holes in a piece of paper to kill a turkey.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: hunter177 on January 29, 2014, 04:02:54 AM
I just got a Mossberg 500 Turkey model 12 gauge. It came with the factory XX-Full turkey choke. I know you're supposed to try a bunch of load/choke combinations but it's just not financially possible right now. Has anyone had any experience with a 500 and Winchester shells in general? I bought 2 boxes of the Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps, 2 oz. of #5 shot. Has anyone had experience with the DoubleX loads. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

That combination will probably do all that's necessary. You'll need to spend a little time at the range to see just how far your gun/choke/shotshell is effective. That may be 40 yards or it may be 35 but you can find out pretty easily by shooting it just a bit.

I do recommend that you thoroughly clean the bore as well as the trigger group before taking that gun to the range. Some times they have grease in them to prevent rust while they are being stored. If you clean it now you'll eliminate a lot of headaches later on. I'd really scrub the bore with Hoppe's or some other solvent until it's shiny and very clean.

Good luck with your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

natman

I have a Mossberg 500 with the factory X-full choke and I use the same Winchester load, only with #4s. One shot kills on the last 27 turkeys that have come within 40 yards.

Sounds like a good starting point.

northms

I have a mossy 500 and will be shooting winchester longbeard 3" #6 this year. Just use a full choke like you and it shot better than any load I've ever used.