turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A few rookie questions on mouth calls

Started by donjuan, January 28, 2014, 08:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

This may have been asked already and if it has point me to the thread.  I was wondering what the differences are in the reed materials (latex vs prophylactic) and what all the different cuts really do.  If you carry 3 or 4 mouth calls, what kind do you like to offer different sounds? I have tried a few flextone calls and like a few and sound like garbage on one.  I picked up a copy of Midwest Call Supply's catalog and I am overwhelmed.  Also, wondering why some are $5.95 and others $11.95?  Does it really matter, or is it the caller that's the most important? 
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Cut*N*Run

This may be an oversimplification, but the different materials and thicknesses mostly affects the pitch, tone, and rollover. The cuts mostly affects the raspiness. The number of reeds mostly affects the volume.

drum817

In short....the caller and his/her skill is more important!!!  You need a well built call capable of producing the correct sounds...but how much you practice will be a DIRECT reflection of how well you sound on ANY call.  I would suggest a two or three reed split V ..... I personally find these to be some of the easiest to use,  But everyone is different.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Gooserbat

For beginners I always recommend a 2 reed boss hen cut call, like my Classic Hen.  It is an easy call to run, and has been the demise of truck loads of turkeys.  No it's not real raspy nor dose it have a fancy cut in the top reed and it's only a two reed but as the old saying goes you have to walk before you run. 

As far as cost well every manufacture has there idea of profit margin and there own certain production cost. 

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Sadler McGraw

Here is my take on buying mouth calls.  If you are in a store where you can pick up a call and examine it in the blister pack.  Look to see if the reeds have ripples in the back and look very closely to see if the latex has "slipped" in the frame.  To tell this, look for a faint glue line all the way around the edge of the frame.   Some times the glue in a fram is crap and it will turn loose.
I would look to see if the tape is applied relatively straight.  All of that is just tell tale signs of sloppy work.    The reed slipping is not the call makers fault, but they shouldnt put one in the pack if it has. 
Look at how the cutts open up.  If the slits are almost closed back up, that tells you there is not much stretch on the call.  If they are really spread open, there is a lot more stretch to the call.  The way a call is cut can also make a call appear to have considerable amount of stretch.  My combo cutt calls really open up, but it is just a trick for looks.

In my opinion, crazy shaped cutts and tits of latex pointing in every direction are just for looks and to make a bunch of "latex racket".  Stick with tried and true cutts,   V cutt, Combo/Shipwreck, Ghost Cutt, Bat Wing and a W cutt.  All of those are a spin off or a hybird of a plain old V cut. 

As far as reed #s,  most calls will either be 2. 2.5 or 3 reeds.  I cant do anything with 2 reeds.   A 2.5 reed call is easier to ROLL OVER,  3 reed will give you more volume per say, but you can still get soft with one. 

Colors of latex, and this is just a general rule.  If it is white/natural it is .003 thick.  If the latex is colored, it will run ..004 to .006 and is usually used on the top of calls.  Most times colored is thicker and is on the top reed.  You will see colored reeds on the bottom, usually it will be a thinner version.

As far as price, you get what you pay for too a certain extent.  The cheap crap that you find at Walmart, might be fine for you.  I have won every calling contest under the sun, and I couldnt make some of that junk sound good.   A $7-$10 call is right there were they should be.   Any thing over that , I just dont know what to say.

Sorry for the rant.  There are some good calls out there, and there is some real trash being made and sold as well.   Hope this will let some of you know what you are looking at.

In the early to mid 90's I bought what seemed like 100's of store bought calls,  most of them got spit out the window of my truck.  Not until I met Barry Springfield form GA, in 1997, I had no idea you could get a custom mouth call made.  One i met him and actually had calls made for me, my calling went through the roof.  Good calls will help you sound better if that is what you desire.

Sadler McGraw
Champions Choice Game Calls
2012 World Turkey Calling Champion
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck