OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

your start to finish patterning process

Started by Briar, January 28, 2014, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briar

Lets say you just bought a new gun.  Never shot it, not sighted in, nothing....What is your start to finish process of getting it sighted in and finding a good load with the least amount of shooting?   

gophert

My first shot is at 15 yards to see if it shoots true to POA.  If I am sighting in a sight or red dot, it is at this distance.  Once that is established I back up to 40 yards and shoot my turkey load of choice.  If a sighting tweak is needed I will shoot 2 turkey loads.  That's pretty much all I the shooting I do.  The main thing you need to remember is that you need to sight in with the choke you plan to use. 

Briar

Thank you.  I read a lot on here in the 20 guage patterning section and most post have a weather report.  Is there a specific temperature/condition I am looking for to achieve optimum results? 

FullChoke

This is a good follow-up question. Try to shoot on a day that approximates the temperatures that you expect to see during your spring season. Try to also get a day with little to no wind and average humidity, whatever that is for your area.

Also, you can use dove shot to take the 15 yard POA/POI shot.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Quote from: FullChoke on January 28, 2014, 10:02:36 AM
This is a good follow-up question. Try to shoot on a day that approximates the temperatures that you expect to see during your spring season. Try to also get a day with little to no wind and average humidity, whatever that is for your area.

Also, you can use dove shot to take the 15 yard POA/POI shot.

Yes this to.  Temp does effect your pattern density.  Basically, the warmer the better.  However patterning in the summer then hunting when the temps are in the 40-50's can effect what you think your pattern is capable of. Just like FullChoke said, I usually wait until I get in the 60's before I pattern, maybe even the 70's because usually that is the normal temps I hunt in. 

Briar

Thank you so much fellas.  I really want to get this right. 

BowBendr

You said a new gun, out of the box and shooting right with the least amount of wasted cost and shells.
I would start out here in the 20 ga. section and research my gun and look until I found what the majority of guys were getting the best results with, and start there. There's a ton of info on this site for any combo you could dream of shooting, if you look you will find 1 or 2 combos to start with first.

Start close to verify that your point of aim is true, work your way out, and you may just hit the magic combo right off the bat. That's how you save time and money.  :icon_thumright:

R AJ

Another option is that when the gun is thoroughly cleaned of any grease, etc., put in the turkey choke and shoot a box or so of some cheap dove loads in th eair or whatever to break in the choke. Then do a cleaning of barrel and choke to start your process.

If possible have the gun in a steady rest if you want a true picture of what your sight picture is doing. You also need to see how she looks when shooting from your normal hunting stance and mounting position.

outdoors

YUP , FIRST I WOOD CLEAN THE SNOKERS OUT OF THE BARREL AND CHOKE BEFORE USING ......
AND THE REST IS LISTED  , GOOD LUCK  :gobble:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field